Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Josh's Joke & Having Company

Here is Joshua's Joke:
Why did the Ostrich stand on one leg?
If he stood on the other, he'd fall down.

Yeah, I thought Marian's was funnier too. But he wanted me to share it with you.

And today Dan had invited the new guy from work for lunch. See, he's going to be Dan's replacement, and he's moving in almost accross the street. He's got a wife and a kid the same age as Delaney, so Dan invited them for lunch. He wanted to BBQ burgers (and then he said he wanted to grill steak and chicken as well. I said, buy it yourself). I felt like I needed to represent well. So we had corn on the cob, baked beans, potato salad and cantelope as well. Waaay too much food for so few adults who would eat it and 5 children who would not. It was tasty food, but much of it now fills the fridge.

As I type this very moment, Delaney is helping herself to the last piece of Sweet Potato Pie. I didn't make it; our company did and it was yummy. Delaney has now eaten the entire last slice, by herself. Our new friends were very nice and it was a pleasant lunch. I somehow always feel so frumpy around women with fewer children and much nicer clothes. Sigh. Someday when no one is going to grab me with grubby sweet-potato-pie smeared hands I too will invest in attractive clothing. Or maybe I'll be beyond caring by then, as I am now!

My main thing was cleaning up the house. Usually our company is the missionaries, or people I know well, so I'm not so motivated to try to impress. Hey, I've got 4 rowdy kids, a terminally comfortable wardrobe, and a permantly tired look. I feel the compulsive need to try to impress! When missionaries come over, I hope they are only there for the food and don't spend as much time on the house. Today I wanted it to look like I put housekeeping as a priority. I don't. I will allow that containing the mess and keeping a clear pathway is a priority, but spotless shine- not. However, today I wanted it to appear that I keep a spotless house. I feel it was a reasonable job, as long as no one looked behind the couch or on the shelves.

I keep telling myself that once we move I will do a better job maintaining, but will I? When the choices are cleaning the bathroom or vaccuuming, I expect I'll vaccuum, since that's something you see right away. And if sitting down reading Confessions of a Pioneer Woman is an option, the vaccuuming and bathrooms are going to have to wait.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

yea, I have to agree that reading confessions of a pioneer woman takes precedent here at my computer as well. She is just so funny! I feel the same about the frumpiness(sp?)! I suppose someday things may be different.......but really, who knows?

Beau & Lenette said...

ugh, cleaning! I can come up with a bazillion things I rather do then that! But in the end I have to admit I love a clean, decluttered home!

Heather said...

You crack me up! I think everyone feels that way around people they don't know. You are comfortable letting all you stuff hang out around people you know already accept you for who you are.

Camilla said...

I haven't stopped in a few weeks and just read the whole page to catch up! Love the jokes. My kids make them up all the time and they rarely make sense like your children's. Be proud of them both!=)
Also, I love vacuuming, hate dusting. Trust me, everyone would hate to dust out here, it is so sandy and dusty outside that the day after you dust, you need to again, so you don't, for at least a month.=)
Some great advice a friend gave me was this: dress up anyway! Everyonce and a while, wear a button up shirt or one of your faves, even if you have no good reason to. I spent way too many days waiting for those good reason moments, wearing out my t-shirts and letting the ones I love get too small or go out of style. So, cease the day! and good luck with your triathalon!!!