Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Feeling Smart

I think I am so clever sometimes. We have this complicated move coming up. The original plan called for 9 nights on the road- at 5 different places! The plan is to move out of here, go up to DC and check the place out, let Dan check in, then drive to my parent's house. All this would take a good 10 days. In the interest of sanity and continuity, rather than 1-2 nights at each previously planned spot, we will now be staying here 2 nights while the movers take care of our stuff, then 6 nights at Ft Belvoir, then 1 night on the road to Mom and Dad's. That's the new plan. And that is totally not what I came on to say!

I meant to tell you how smart I think I am. I hear you laughing; traveling that long and far with 4 children under the age of 7 is not smart. Well, here is what I have come up with.... I got a bunch of small, interesting things for the kids. I got notebooks, crayons, activity books, that sort of thing. For Joshua it was more lego kits (the little $5 ones) and books. If you check out the link I have to momsminivan.com you'll see why I think they are fabulous! So many good ideas. They have a great link to another place that sells travel toys, and I got a bunch of the magnetic ones.

So, I got all these things. I have now wrapped all 65 of them. (I purchased them over the last 2 months so I wouldn't cringe at the cost so much!) I will pass out a wrapped present to the kids each day. I also have some fun candy things- the candy pacifiers and rings I never buy for them at Walmart, no matter how much they beg. Yep, now they will come as a special added surprise. Random presents and snacks, it should ensure a fun trip, right? In theory they will be so delighted with their new item that they will play happily with it all day. In reality, I expect they will play with it for 5 minutes and complain that they like their sister's thing better. Then they will fight. Then I will throw their toys out the window.

It seems like a good idea- the wrapping new activities to do, not the throwing them out the window. I will let you know how it goes next month!

4 comments:

Bryn said...

It's next month? Oh my goodness that's coming up fast! Good luck. Do you have the DVD player? That works wonders for us. Curtis can even set it up so that one monitor plays movies while the other can be a playstation or whatever to play games and watch other movies. Okay, so Curtis does end up sitting in the back playing, too.... We all gotta take breaks!

Sharon said...

Wow that's is coming fast. I like your idea. I also know that my old hygenist used to do is giving them something every hour but this was just for a two day trip. Or maybe not every house, when they where watching a movie that didn't count. Anyway I like your plan you are very smart.! And I really really miss you, I have nobody to talk to. I hope all goes well for you.

Heather said...

well maybe after you throw the first few things out the window, they'll get the picture and stop complaining?

Beau & Lenette said...

sounds like a great plan! Have fun with that trip :)!!! Are you leaving next month already! WTH!