Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

In Case of Emergency...

Guess who came to our house today?!



No fair, you cheated. Okay, I guess I did post the picture so you have every right to peek ahead. And now that I've told you the middle of the story, why don't I start at the start!



I think I mentioned my 30 potatoes, in the last post.... well, I was cooking the meat and whatnot to put together my 10 Shepherd's Pies. I spent a lot of time in the kitchen with 10 lbs of meat, browning on the stove. Add 10 zucchini and 10 carrots, and a plethera of other delights and I was slaving away in there. I was nearly done when the alarm began to beep- very loudly. Then it said, "Caution, Carbon Monoxide." I ignored it.



Hey, don't blame me! We moved the smoke detector out of the kitchen because every time I turned on the stove, it went off. So, I didn't pay attention to it. Then the upstairs one went off as well. 2 CO2 Detectors, both beeping quite loudly and announcing the presence of Carbon Monoxide got me a bit worried. I turnd off my stove, and called the police department, because that's the only number I could find. 10 minutes later, with sirens screaming, the fire truck pulled up in front of the house. How exciting!


There's the house and the lit up truck. 4 Burly firemen came in and walked around with their gieger counter. Right, it was counting gas, not giegers. Aparently zero is where you should be at, over 10 and they want you out, and we were at 40 in the kitchen. Very bad. So the girls went accross the street to play with the nieghbor kids and I called the property management company. 5 calls later, I finally talked to who I needed to and they said someone from the gas company would be out soon to see where the leak might be coming from.

The problem with all this (other than the possibility of very bad things, like death) is that I had a 4:30 eye apointment. Dan was going to meet me at the eye place at 4:15, and it was currently 3:45. Aargh. No way to reach Dan, so I cancelled the appointment and crossed my fingers that Dan would get home okay. The Gas company guy came just before 5pm and Dan came home 10 minutes later.

5 comments:

Kelli said...

Now how funny as a fellow blogger you probably grabbed your camera because it would make a fabulous post! Should we start a blogger's anonymous group or what???

Catherine said...

Glad you didn't die. Also glad you had CO detectors. That makes me think I should plug mine back in. I bet the kids were excited to see a fire truck.

The Halls said...

Don't leave me hanging. How did it end? Was there a terrific gas leak under your dining table? Would it have blown your house to bits the next time you lighted a candle for dinner? I'm glad you have CO detectors. It's dangerous stuff. And great job on the stroller cover! I might steal that idea since I love to go for walks bt it is getting cold here too.

Jennie said...

Your life is so exciting. Glad you post it.

Just the 2 of us said...

OH MY HECK!!! I'm glad that you guys are all okay!! I'll have to get a CO detector-they are available at Wal-Mart right! (You know there is no where else to shop here!!!)