Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Healthier cooking


Chicken Pot Pie


1 1/2 cups chicken broth

1-2 cups cubed potato

1 cup sliced carrots

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 can corn, or cup frozen corn

1 cup frozen peas

1/2 cup flour

1 1/2 cup milk

2 cups shredded cheese

4 cups cooked, chopped chicken

1/4 tsp poultry seasoning

salt and pepper

1 pie crust- uncooked


Cook carrots, potatoes and onion in broth till done. Add corn and peas. Blrnd flour and milk and stir into broth and veggies. Stir in cheese , chicken and seasonings. Spoon into casserole dish. Cover with pie crust and seal edges. Make several slits in the crust. Bake at 425 for 45 minutes


** To freeze, cover with foil and seran wrap to seal and freeze. Defrost 48 hours and cook as above.



I have been working on healthier meals. I decided that if we were going to consume empty calories, then they should be spent on good stuff like chocolate, cookies, and all that stuff you already know isn't good for you. Thus, I have been working on making our meals more beneficial for our bodies. Yes, I know lower calories is suppose to be good. However, if a whole wheat waffle and a donut have the same number of calories, the waffle is still a lot better for you.


I really like this pot pie recipe. I think I got it from Sharon. It is great for a couple of reasons. First, it tastes delicious! We had it for dinner last night. There are no leftovers at this moment. Second, it makes a lot. If you are a little family, you could put it in 2 pie pans and freeze one. That moves us to number 3; it freezes really well! Last of all is my favorite reason- no condensed soup required! I make my own chicken broth/stock, so there is pretty much nothing processed in this dish. And did I mention that it is really yummy?!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Oh sorry about the every 2 hours. Ug is right.