Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Monday, January 18, 2010

Blogs and Blogging

Let us begin with a gratuitous picture of the girls. I left them in the bath too long unattended and they poured half a bottle of shampoo in there with them.


And now, my thoughts on blogs and blogging....

Dan doesn't really get the whole blogging thing. I'm not sure I do either, but I have this compulsion to do it, and an even bigger compulsion to read them. I love reading about other people's lives. Its really that simple. That's why I love to watch "Survivor" and "The Amazing Race". I am always surprised to see people thinking and doing things differently than I would.

I know in my head that people are different, but it still amazes me to see them reacting differently or thinking in a different way than I would. I feel like I must investigate further to try to understand. I, naturally, feel that my way is the best, most efficient, most logical way to do things, and I can't understand why someone would do it another way. In addition, I am fascinated by other people's lives. The people who are similar to me, I like to read about because their life may be like mine. There are people who may have some similarities, but they have very different challenges in their lives, and I am compelled to read about how they deal with things. And then there are people who are so very different from me that I must read because I do not get them at all. Of course, there are some blogs I read because they are so darn entertaining, or educational. Egocentric as I am, I think maybe some of them are equally interested in my life.

You may notice on my blogroll that I have my family's blogs. I read those because I love them and I am always interested to read about their lives. Plus, I love to see their pictures. I have friends who I like to read about as well. Being in the military, I meet a lot of people. Some of them I really like and I want to know what they are up to without having to actually pick up the phone and call them. Thus, the blog is a wonderful thing. Its like people-watching, without having to leave your house!

There are also blogs that I stalk, or lurk on. Some are great for information- The Pioneer Woman and My Food Storage Deals are great for that. Some are entertaining- Cake Wrecks makes me laugh and Mormon Bachelor Pad is amusing. (But don't read the comments. Ug. Some people need more of a life and I refuse to stoop to such a level as blog bullying.) Good News is great for a spiritual pick-me-up or for good insights. Other blogs I read because I find their life fascinating, amazing, sad, challenging and/or gripping and I want to know how it is going. Some I visit regularly, but do not list on my blog because I may not want you to know I go there!

So, this is my confession as to why I am semi-addicted to reading blogs, both by those I know and those I do not! Why do I, myself, bog? Well, I do it mostly for me. I know that my life is not that interesting to anyone other than my family, and maybe some friends. Since my family is so far away, I mainly blog to keep in touch with them and to post pictures so they can see my lovely little ones grow up. I also blog because I need to put my thoughts on paper sometimes to sort them out. Sometimes I'm not sure how I feel about something till I write it down, and apparently I have to feel like someone else may read it as well. Okay, I admit that occasionally I use it as a venting medium. I have to spew it out somewhere and I figure no one is being forced to read this. So if they are bored, they'll go away. I am really just writing for me. And my mom. And my sisters. And my brothers who may actually pop in every now and then. And my in laws who might come to see pictures of the children.....

And now I am just rambling for no reason other than Dan is holding the baby and if I quit blogging, he'll give her back to me!

2 comments:

Bryn said...

I am right there with you! I love to read other people's ideas. Some people are such great writers or know how to put things so nicely I get a little embarassed about my own writing. You are always good at writing out your thoughts. I love to read them. The pics are great, too!

Sharon said...

I love to blog and read blogs too. I like to blog because it's like my journal. I'm pretty open in my blog.