Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Fabulous Callie and Crickets

The other day I was in Walmart and Callie got her feelings hurt. She was whimpering and making life difficult, so I was trying to cajole her out of it. I asked if she was my cutie Callie. She said (very emphatically) "No! I Fab-u-lous Callie!"

She sure is my fabulous Callie!
Now for my story. Joshua is learning about crickets in science. He had a homework project to build a 3D one, at least 3 inches long, but no more than 2 feet long. I finally decided to make play doh and let him sculpt it. I got talked into a homemade clay recipe and tried that out. I'm not sure if I can't follow directions, or if it really was suppose to be that thick and crumbly, but it was an interesting medium. I thought Joshua did a marvelous job sculpting a cricket out of it.
The darn stuff didn't want to dry and when it did, it wouldn't stick togther. The legs and apendages were falling off and if I glued them back on, they just shaved off another layer of the clay. grrr. I finally stuck tooth picks into everything and sent him off to school with it. He had come home with 3 different due dates and I wanted it to be in on time.
Aparently it went in a week early. Worse, the teacher didn't take it and hide it or grade it or whatever they plan to do. The crumbling mass of a once-cute cricket sat on his desk all week. What do 30 second graders do when they see such a thing? They must touch and poke and prod. And the once-cute cricket no longer resembled a cricket or anything cute. Joshua brought it back home on Friday and its due on Monday.
It was truly a lost cause. I gave up on domesticity and got play-doh at Walmart.


Yep, whatever one does, all must do likewise. Marian made a pretty cute cricket herself, modeled after Joshua's. (but the picture including her creation was not as cute as this one!)


Callie was there and had a great time doing what the bigger kids were doing too.


I tried to talk him into a uniform color, but he wanted each part to be visible, so the teacher could see it. Did he not do a fantastic job?! That is the cutest little cricket I've ever seen! And I learned some fun facts about them. Yep, now I know how to tell a boy cricket from a girl cricket.


This one is definately a girl cricket! Delaney had her own lump of play-doh and she had a blast hanging out with her bigger sibs.

4 comments:

Beau & Lenette said...

adorable cricket! He did a FABULOUS job!

kirsten said...

we did that project back in the day too - i had similar issues with play-do! josh's looks gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I miss you guys. Everytime I seen how much the kids have grown I want to race back to wal-mart and meet you at the photo studio. I can hardly belevie how big Callie is. I remeber has if it was yesterday the looks she gave me when she new I was the sleep patriol.

Sharon said...

I haven't looked at your blog for a while I guess, but I am way impressed with Joshua's cricket. He did a great job, and I love your 5 things. Mirian Looks a lot like you you know. So do you think you have a little princess on your hands with Callie?