Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Monday, October 27, 2008

Broken or not broken?

Let's begin with a funny story. Okay, not so funny, but still slightly amusing. Callie bonked her head. She then proceeded to have a tantrum because she couldn't see a bump on it when she looked in the mirror. So she ran to her room screaming and slammed the door. Then she really started screaming, since her finger had been in the way of the door slamming. Sigh. It was funny till she hurt her finger.


This is what her pinky finger looked like. It swelled up and the knuckle area turned purple. You can't see the lovely color here, but it was. It also looked a bit crooked, but I couldn't tell if it was because it was swollen or something else.

See, it does look crooked! And slightly bruised. It really was more purple in real life. She consented to have ice on it, so it must have hurt. I put in "Cinderella" and snuggled her on the couch with her blanket and ice pack. It didn't get worse, but it didn't get better.
At 4 I woke Dan up from his nap and asked if he would take her to the ER. He agreed with surprising good nature. I packed a bag of snacks and activities and sent them off. He called at 6:30 to tell me she'd just been X-rayed. Then nothing. 8pm rolled around and I partly watched "The Amazing Race". Still nothing. 10pm came around and I finally called the ER. The abrupt lady said they were on their way home. After she hung up I thought maybe I should have asked how long ago!
It was 10:15 before they came home. Nearly 6 hours!!!! Ug. Callie was asleep and Dan took her right to bed. I asked how it went, sonce she had a ig purple wrap on her finger. He said, "Not broken". That's all he said. They were gone for 6 hours and all he says is, "Not broken." ?!!



Here she is today, wearing purple lip gloss and chocolate chip muffins on her face. I did force Dan to tell me more, but getting info from him was like pulling teeth. They waited a lot, the ER was busy (note to self, if the kid's not screaming and/or gushing blood, don't go!), they waited some more, They got x-rayed, they waited, the doctor gave them a tube of bacitracin, they waited, they came home. Now I am a little confused still as to why the doctor gave them the bacitracin. She wasn't bleeding! At least, not when she left the house, who knows what happened once they got to the hospital. Dan's theory was that the doc didn't want them to walk away empty-handed after such a long wait. Hmmm, nice consolation prize!

So, Callie has a sore finger, but she is going to live. In the future, when I do NOT go to the ER and it turns out I should have, please remember this posting and know that there was a reason!

3 comments:

Megan said...

My only comment is, when did the Amazing Race begin? We love that show and I can't believe that we missed a show. Hopefully, we only missed one!
Oh, and poor Callie, and I wonder how much you paid for the antibiotic cream?

Heather said...

That was pretty funny, I'd be laughing too.

Anonymous said...

and you even make her pose for the camera. CRAZY MOM