Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Monday, March 18, 2013

That'll Leave a Mark!

 Ever since I let Joshua tackle the destruction of my old stroller for parts, I've had a lot of young men hanging around in my back yard.  This is what they were doing the other day.....

 Gleefully trying to demolish the stroller.  Because they haven't got the right tools, the stroller is putting up a good fight and is still looking like a stroller. Joshua has been having a marvelous time with it and I love that it keeps him outside and working his brain. Fortunately, he has not wacked himself in the head with the hammer again.


As for me, I finally did what I've known is coming for a while.  I fell.

I get up early some mornings to run before the kids get up for school, and with Daylight Saving Time last week, it is now really dark at 5:45am when I hit the road in my go-fasters.  The last .75 miles of my running path before the turn around point is in total darkness- no light but the oncoming traffic, which blinds you.  So I am surprised I have not stumbled badly before today.

Here is my poor bloody knee.  I am quite disgusted that I fell a mile into the run.  It is all Levi's fault.  He had to poop while we were still in civilization, so I had to pick it up.  I could not find a trash can though, so I was running with a bag-o-poo for a bit.  I finally spotted a dumpster in a parking lot and detoured to toss my baggie in it.  Then I headed back to the road.  Unfortunately for me, I didn't notice the 1/2 inch curb at the bridge that connected the parking lot to the road, and down I went.  Ouch!

I'm a punk, I can take it.  So I got up, walked a minute and then finished my 5 mile run.   Yeah, I'm tough.  Sort of.  It was really starting to hurt by the time I got home, honestly. And the blood flow wasn't really that bad.  It was a muggy 68 degrees out there, so it was vastly enhanced by sweat.

And... And, what kills me is that I put on my headlamp to run with this morning!  I knew it would be dark, so I had my reflective arm band, with my amber light on it, and I put on the headlight.  I did not have the headlight on in the parking lot because I was still where the street lights are!  Ug.  I sure look cool though, don't I?!  Ha.  I know, I am an ugly runner and I'm okay with it.  I ran 5 miles.  I can be an ugly runner if I can go 5 miles!

 This is my knee, all cleaned up.  No skin left on it.  Now to keep it moist enough till the new skin realizes it is on an appendage that needs to bend.

2 comments:

Tom and Sandy Fox said...

Ouch! I'm so impressed you kept running. I'd have wimped out. Good for you. I hope it heals quickly.

Daniel said...

Eek. That's an impressive wound. Camden had something similar happen and he got an awesome curious George sticker and it's scabbed up really well. :) Thanks for all your updates. You're great!