Joshua had his Pinewood Derby and Blue & Gold Dinner last night. We went as a family to enjoy the festivities.
They went pretty low key. There were hot dogs and nachos with cheese, and chili to put on either of those. The kids were happy.
The nachos were an especially big hit for them.
Yeah, I don't know who this kid is!
I think Marian had 2 hot dogs and a plate of nachos. You'd think I never feed her!
After the food there was the chaos and waiting for stuff to happen, so the kids ran amok and entertained themselves.
They did get down to business and Dan and I got called up to help Joshua get his Arrow of Light and his Webelos Badge. I was not expecting to have to go on the stage! Yikes!
It was the last of Joshua's Cub Scout stuff. He's now finished all he can and they'll be sending him in with the Boy Scouts, even though he won't be 12 till the end of summer. He is excited.
After the awarding, they got to what we'd been waiting for! Joshua raced with the Over 10 crowd this year. It was a smaller group.
The girls really enjoyed watching the races. It was fun and I thought they were pretty well organized. The boys got to race quite a few times. I think they raced every single car at least once.
Joshua's car was not very fast. It was not the slowest though. I think that honor went to the kid who took his block of wood and just added wheels and stickers. There were some awesome cars, my favorite being the Perry the Platypus one. I wish I had gotten pictures.
I just wanted a picture of the car! Joshua did a good job on his car. His leader is adamant that the boys do all the work, so he did. I thought Josh's car looked great. I wish we were more knowledgeable about how to make the wheels less wonky.
It was fun to watch. The boys were all very good natured about the races and all there to have fun. I was glad it was not overly competitive.
Ah, Marian. She does make her own fun wherever she is!
When we got home, Joshua wanted to show off his uniform. Granted, I have not sewed anything on it in 2 years, and he has a few things that should be there, but he's pleased with his Arrow of Light.
And he did get a lot of cool pins on his new shoulder ribbon. That's my boy!

2 comments:
Good job Joshua! I am a webelos den leader and it is hard work getting everything done to earn that Arrow of Light. Question though, in our area, when a boy turns 11, they move in to the 11 yr old scouting program and begin the work toward their Eagle---they are cub scouts no longer. Is this not church wide, or is this just a Utah thing?
I am a wolf den leader. How cool that Megan and I are both in cub scouts. Our area also has boys go into the 11 year old scout program when they are 11. Maybe it depends where you live though. Congratulations to Joshua! That is a lot of work to get your arrow of light.
Post a Comment