A few weeks ago, while Miranda and Savannah were here, I first spotted this little guy. Then most of the family also had mouse sightings.
However, I did eventually get to Walmart and I got some traps. They scare me. I managed to set up 4 of them and within a few days we snapped a mouse. I made Dan dispose of it.
A few nights later, I was up late with Rylee and heard scuffling and spotted his friend, hopping down my stairs! The little bugger boldly jumped down in front of me and scurried in a leisurely fashion around the shelf of movies. It was bad enough thinking the mousies were confined to the basement, but it was an intolerable thought that they might be venturing upstairs!!
So it was war. I went to the commissary today and discovered that among the several options for disposing of mice, my choices were 2 snap traps for $3.69, or 2 circular no-touch traps for $3.69. I got them both. I know the snap traps work, but I was delighted to try out this new circular trap that doesn't bite if you do it wrong. I put on my peanut butter and put out the 2 circular traps.
I wasn't expecting anything until nighttime at least, but as I was moving laundry over at 8pm, I heard scuffling noises. I looked over at my trap. It has 3 settings- Set, Not Set, and Caught. The trap was pointing to Not Set. Hmmmmm..... I know it is a smart mousie, since he managed to lick all the peanut butter off one of the original snap traps, so I picked up the trap to check it. It felt empty, so I went to set it and something moved! I, of course, screamed like a girl and dropped it. I shouted for Dan, who is only slightly less squeamish than I am. He swept the trap up with a broom and we slid it into a gallon zip lock bag. We were trying to see if there was a mousie in it and there was a tail sticking out the door of the trap. As we stared at it in fascination, we decided it wasn't moving, so the trap must have worked. It was suppose to kill the thing. It was also suppose to point to "Caught" when it did, and it actually did neither. As I twisted the trap, still enclosed in the bag, the mouse popped out. Again, I screamed like a little girl and threw it on the floor.
So now I had a mouse in a gallon zip lock bag, racing around on the floor. Joshua and Marian were screaming. Rylee saw everyone jumping and screaming and promptly joined in. We didn't know what to do with an ALIVE mouse! Dan stepped up and picked it up. I was all for just tossing the whole thing into the outside trash, but Joshua and Dan took him outside and released him at the fence line. I just hope he has learned his lesson!

4 comments:
Oh Rebecca! I feel your pain. It was last year at this time that we got our first mouse. We got rid of them within a month, but yuck! Now, I am already freaking out everytime one of the kids leave a door open for more than two seconds. We found the best trap--it uses batteries and it gives them a jolt that kills them and you don't have to see them, because they stay in the box. Obviously someone has to empty the box, when the light indicates you killed one, but that would be your husband. The traps worked like magic and are about $8.00 for an electrocution chamber. We bought 4 and within a few days, it killed all of them.
I love your blog. But, this was one of my favorites. Mice are no fun but I don't have a problem of putting a live one in a trap and throwing it into the outside trash. My mom thinks I mean, but I didn't care. I couldn't personally kill the mouse.
Hooray for your successes in extermination! I do hope that's the last of them. M
OH I'm sorry but but a smile on my face, because I could totally see how it all played out. And I needed a smile tonight! so thank you for even making me chuckle a little. I would of done the same thing. Why is that these little creatures make us scream like it's a snake?
Post a Comment