Callie had a birthday. She wanted a horse cake. Or a Unicorn Cake. Or a Puppy Cake. Or a Kitty. Or one that looked like her. I went with the Horse Cake. Since I like Chocolate, I went with that. And it was yummy!
Here is the cake. Pay no attention to the unattractive pan it is on. The cake is lovely and it was tasty too!
Here is the happy birthday girl. (She and Delaney had been outside in the kiddie pool, and I did not make them get dressed.)
Callie was so sweet. She told Delaney that she could help blow out the candle. It was adorable to watch them do it together. I love Callie's tender little heart.
Thanks Grandma and Grandpa! Although it has caused some contention as Delaney coveted it and stole it. Today they sorted it out and both girls were playing happily together. I love to see that.
So Callie had a good birthday. She was pleased with her presents and was only a little disappointed that she did not have a big party with friends. And now you may ask about the bitterness. I am a little bitter. I should not be, but I am. I confess it and confess I know I ought not to be, but I am. I am cranky because Dan is sick. He got to work this morning, and then felt so awful (vomiting was part of it) that his boss actually drove him home. He came home and went right to bed. He spent most of the day in bed, except for the 2 hours he came downstairs and sent ME to bed to take a nap. (Rylee was rotten last night and that 2 hour nap was the longest stretch of sleep I had in 24 hours!)
I am a horrible person because even though my sick sweetie made me take a nap, I am still grumpy that he gets to spend the day in bed. There, I said it. I'm mad that when he is sick, he can go to bed. He can sleep all day and do nothing. What happens when I am sick? I puke and feel dreadful and I still have to get kids out the door to school, and I still have to feed them and make sure they are supervised and taken care of. So, when I am sick, nothing really changes, except I feel rotten while I do what I normally do. And when Dan is sick, he gets to lie around looking pathetic. That's the bitterness. I am working on being a better person, and someday, I shall conquer this feeling. But not today.
And because we must end on a happy note here.....
Cuteness!

4 comments:
You are a great wife and mother! I am here to tell you, every mother feels that bitterness when their poor, sick hubby gets to act like a poor, sick person when we mothers have to act like nothing is wrong. Any woman who tells you different is a liar. A bitter liar!
Oh, and thanks for that last picture, it was perfect for a nice little belly laugh here, too!
Rebecca, I love that last picture of Rylee, so cute! I also completely understand your feelings about Dan getting to sleep when he is sick, and have also felt the same guilt for feeling that way. You must be human.
Happy Birthday to CALLIE!!!! She is so cute with her little haircut and looking so grown up! I swear it was just yesterday she was a colicky baby that I was bopping on my lap and just hoping would go to sleep! Poor little thing!! I'm so glad she had a good birthday and the cake was awesome!!
I totally understand the bitterness. 100% Maybe 110%!!! Some day (when we die) we'll be perfected. I'm counting on that. HA! :)
Last but not least, I love Rylee!! SO cute and funny! Can't wait to meet her! (But I hope for your sake, and mine, she's sleeping by the time I visit in September!!)
Dear Rebecca:
Thanks for the blog. We love seeing the pictures. Your honesty allows others to feel truth and look for progression.
I remember a wonderful honest friend who said "children are our greatest blessing and our greatest challenge" at a time in RS when it seems that all that was taught was we should seek "Heaven on Earth" in our homes always. It helped me accept both the joys and the difficulties of parenting.
Post a Comment