It was fun to go to church yesterday. And very wierd. I realized that I have had a pretty sheltered life with growing up in the military. My parents have now lived in Mountain Home for about 12 years. That's the longest they have been anywhere in my life. And since I have a bad habit of returning home to see them, I have gotten to know the ward and their friends fairly well. This is the first time I've seen people (that I'm not related to!) grow old, grow up, and/or change drastically. I am realizing that a military benefit is that you don't really see the bad stuff- you move away! It was tough to be in church and see some of these people I've known now for 10 years, and to see how old they are getting and to see them stricken with health issues. It was kind of depressing. And to see some of the kids I knew, now grown up and making stupid choices. Ug. Seeing the mess some of them have made of such promising lives is sad. When I was growing up, we just moved away. I never saw people I really knew making train wrecks out of their lives. Now I come here and I see it and it really hurts. I mean, I knew this stuff happened, it just didn't happen to anyone I still kept in touch with. It was always news I heard third hand and it didn't hit me personally. And that is my depressing thought of the day- real life isn't always fun!
And now on to the part that IS fun! The chitlins..... Here they are, enjoying life in the boonies.

Delaney was thrilled to discover this dilapidated car hidden in the back yard. Hosed off, its now a favorite item. Callie and Delany are missing some skin off their toes, thanks to some high speed rides from their siblings. I'm just happy that they are so highly entertained.
The fountain in the front yard is a big hit too. Not so much fun after Grandpa said no more wading in it. Joshua is balancing on the rim, and that is still a lot of fun.
Finding pill bugs in the garden is a fantastic way to spend the afternoon. It does require some supervision to preserve the garden. Grandpa was not happy to see the destruction wraught the first day. They are better now, and still enjoy the garden without pulling of leaves and petals.
No comments:
Post a Comment