Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Saturday, January 4, 2020

Adventures with Katie: Hacksaw Ridge

 Thank goodness Katie was here so I had a reason to get out of my comfort zone. Hacksaw Ridge has been on my bucket list since we moved here, but I was always too afraid to go look for it. I was intimidated by the lack of directions for other laces and I was worried about getting lost and not recognizing it.

However, as a family, we were brave!  We put "Hacksaw Ridge" into the GPS and off we went!  It sent us to a parking lot and there was a nebulous map that showed Hacksaw Ridge on it, but when we walked in what looked like the correct direction, we were wrong.  We did spend a bit of time roaming around, but that was fine, because there was lots to see.  One person was not fine with it and there may have been a minor meltdown.

We did find the right spot after touring the Urasoe Castle ruins and a sizable gravesite.  It was a very worthwhile excursion.  After all the trauma of roaming around, we did go to the park to assuage the sadness of the one.
The scenic overlook by the parking lot where we tried to figure out where we were, and how to get to where we wanted to be.

The Urasoe Castle ruins.

Katie was there!

 I love this kid so much!

My selfie with the castle.  It was destroyed during WW2 and very little remains. Still cool.

Roaming around, looking for Hacksaw Ridge.  Unfortunately, we went down. 

And then we climbed back up via these tombs.  It was a huge graveyard of tombs all across the mountainside.  I'm sorry the lighting is so dreadful, because it was pretty impressive. 

At the official Hcksaw Ridge point.

 It had it's own designation marker and info plaque.

 The nifty park.  Except the giant roller slide was out of commission and the kids were sad.


And 15 minutes was really all they needed there.

And Josh assumed his natural position until it was time to go.   

Can you spot the Marian?!!

No comments: