Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Monday, November 13, 2017

Happy 242nd Birthday Marines!

 Dan and I went to the Marine Corps Ball this year.  I was unenthusiastic.  We are new here and I do not know anyone.  Plus, realizing that every year I get all dressed up and we never get any good pictures and I don't get to do anything fun and we are old and boring... well, there wasn't much to look forward to.  I didn't even pick out what I was going to wear till 2 hours before and I just threw my hair into a fancyish, low pony-tail.  Whatever.

Inspired by my cousins amazing Halloween eye makeup, I went for extra dark and heavy eyes. It was a little different than I usually do.  I came out to make the kids dinner before putting on my dress and Rylee and Delaney were eyeballing me.  Delaney asked why  I looked like that.  I said we were going to the Ball.  Rylee informed me I had too much eye make up on.

After I got them dinner, I put on my pretty dress and we headed out.  I was wearing my awesome royal blue dress and fabulous red heels.  Dan wore his matador ....er, his Dress Blues uniform.  I knew exactly one couple there- a new family that just moved in, and I had briefly met at church.  I did not really want to socialize, but I did.  It wasn't horrible.  The program was good.  But what's not to love with Marines in uniform involved?!

The guest speaker was pretty amazing.  He had 2 sons who joined the Marine Corps after 9/11.  When his oldest son was killed by an IED, he decided he wanted to join the Navy.  He was an orthopedic surgeon and wanted to help.  He was told no way would he get an age waiver, at his age of 60 to join up.  He was able to get (then) President Bush to personally request the age waiver, and he joined the Navy and served several tours in Iraq as a doctor.  Pretty cool guy.

Dinner was tasty, cake was meh.  We left early and it was fine.  Dan had a friend take a couple pictures on my phone.  You cannot see the greatness of my dress, nor can you see my fabulous red heels, so I was sad about that.  Whatever.

Okay, not the best photo to see the heavy eye makeup! I don't know what Rylee was complaining about.

Dan with his boss and another guy he works with.  They were lovely table companions.

 The lackluster photo of us. But pretty much the only photo of us, so there you have it.

 Our name tags on the table.  Whoo hoo.


No comments: