Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Tsuwano Taikodaniinari Shrine

Dan likes to take grand trips, and the kids don't really want to go anywhere.  I decided I was going to plan a trip that I wanted to do.  So I did.  I have been wanting to go to this shrine, with 1200 red tori gates for a while.  It is one of the 5 greatest Inari shrines, and was built in 1773. It is the Tsuwano Taikodaniinary Inari Shrine.  That's a mouthful!  It was a 2 hour drive away, so I planned to stop there on our way to an overnight trip to Beppu.  It was so worth it!


We took meandering roads through the mountains to get there.  It was quite the adventure.  Fortunately it as quite scenic, and rural Japan is awesome.


Roads like this were less fun for those with queasy stomachs!  The mountains here are pretty steep, so it was extra fun.

Coming down the opposite mountain, we could see the shrine on the other side.

At the parking lot and I'm so excited at how pretty it is!

The temple was gorgeous.

Rylee wanted to pose with everything.  This is the fox, who is the messenger for the gods of the Inari shrines.

 Delaney and Rylee, at the entry to  the stairs of Torii gates.

So fun!!

I'm loving it!

Joshua was so pleased that he could read a bit of the writing on the wooden plaques on each post.

Pretty awesome, isn't it?!

Oh, it was so worth the visit!

A little mini shrine on the side of the path.

A less-than-enthusiastic Marian.  I think the only thing she said the entire trip was, "Are we going home now?"

I think this is the original Tsuwano Castle.  It was at the bottom of the shrine.


The kids enjoyed the lovely gardens.

Ah, my heart skips a beat.

The bottom of the stairs of the gates.

And then we walked back up the stairs through all 1200 Torii gates!

Rylee, Delaney and me, at the top of the shrine, overlooking the valley.  
And then we drove back out, over that mountain there on the left!

No comments: