I thought it would be super fun to make baby blankets out of the kimonos. The Navy Marine Corps Relief Society gives handmade baby blankets to new moms, and they are always in need of donations. And what could be more fun and appropriate than a kimono blanket!
Since the kimonos unpick into long strips, it was really easy to sew strip quilts. They are really fast to put together. It takes longer to pick my colors and come up with a backing than it does to actually sew them!
Delaney really wanted a blanket too. I took her to the fabric store with me to pick out a backing and to buy batting. She chose her colors and knew exactly what she wanted. The first blanket is Delaney's. The rest all went to NMCRS for babies born here in Iwakuni. The real struggle is in finding appropriate colors for boys. Hard to find floral stuff manly! I tried though. Some of the blankets are cuter than others, but I think all are adorable!










No comments:
Post a Comment