The problem we have is that Dan and I only felt really strongly about one name. Only one were we willing to fight the other on, despite the lack of enthusiasm from them. Marian was mine, and Callie was Dan's. Delaney was the last girl name we both kind of liked. Pretty much all of Dan's names I do not like, and vice versa. And the only names left seem to be ones we kind of like, but are not strongly attached to. Well, that or they are already taken. Emily is already on both sides of the family, and Catherine and Ashley are taken as well. Dan hates double names (things like Anna-Kate or Mary-Alice), which I kind of like. He also is against androgynous names, which I like. Not so much for boys; tough being a boy with a name that a girl could also have. But for girls, I think its okay. Dan does not. Plus, some of my favorite names were names of girls Dan or his brother dated, and that puts them out of the running. Thus you may begin to see our situation. So, here are the names that Dan and the kids came up with:
Alice
Isabella (We have an Isabelle already in the family)
Madison (already Delaney's middle name- no comments Megan!)
Lauren
Elizabeth
Anna
Alexis (this came off my list when Joshua chanted "Sexy-Lexi" after Dan put this down.)
Camryn
China
Samantha
Sally
Sparkelot (Callie's choice)
Lucy (Dan's dog's name)
So few are actually in the running, but we were getting all the names out and starting our list. I'm sure more names will be added and crossed off. Dan and I both LIKE more traditional names, but feel like we need something less popular, since we have such a common last name. Neither of us like weird spellings or things a kid will have to explain every year on the first day of school, so there actually is some common ground!

8 comments:
Madison is a great name-but hey I'm kind of partial to it ;) Hey what about Annalee? I know it's a double name but hey it's cute:)
Traditional names? Delaney isn't traditional I would say that's unique. You have some great names on that list. Where did Joshua here that??? Good luck names are hard, Mark and I picked Taylor's by my 100 top names I printed and he circled like 5 and Taylor was one.
Your dad feels the need to weight in on this discussion: I liked your name, and pushed for it, because of a great girl I had dated (and it worked quite well for you!); no former girl friend names, but the dog's name is ok?
What's wrong with Sparkelot?? Ha. I love the names that kids pick out--I just wouldn't use any that my kids pick out or make up. It is always a good idea to run a name by your kids though; I have found that if they can easily rhyme it with something bad, then it is a name to drop. I have always loved the name Peter, but since my last name is Powell, we can't use it because of Peter Powell, aka PP.
good luck! choosing a name was the most difficult part of my (very easy) pregnancy! Adam was trying to make a last ditched effort for the name Karrington after she was born! Crazy boy!
My nieces wanted to name Madison Dora, Princess Girl, Jayce Madeline. That last one is a compilation of their middle names! BUT hey Princess Girl it was right up there I tell ya with Sparkelot =) Tell Callie that Madison cannot wait to see her this summer and cannot CANNOT CANNOT wait for her to get here.
How fun is the name game???!!! You will know it when you hear it. What about Scarlet from gone with the wind? Scarlet White... too weird? Okay, it's late and I'm going to bed. Missed getting to hang with you more. Oh and what is good for burns other than peppermint and lavendar?
Winfield suggested "stripey" for my baby. It is funny the names they come up with. Good luck.
Post a Comment