Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

How we have fun in Arkansas!

My parents do not have cable or satellite TV. This means that if its not on VHS or DVD, there is nothing to see on the TV. I kind of like it. And I have been shocked at how little the children (mainly Joshua!) have complained about it. They have done a great job being occupied by other things. Personally, I think it is a bit too hot to go outside, but the kids don't seem bothered much at all. They spend a lot of time in the yard having a marvelous time, and not always in the kiddie pool.

I also took them to a library program. I really like the library here. They have a great kids room.

The kids like to play more than they want to read or look at books, but I'm okay with that. They are having fun, the air is cool and air-conditioned, I'm happy to sit and read while they play!

The library also has a good summer reading program and we attended one of their activities. Joshua did not want to go, but the girls had a great time. There was a balloon man who did some fun magic as well. I was pretty impressed. At the end, he made balloon figures for every kid. And there were a LOT of kids!

Marian got a sword, while Callie and Delaney chose pink dogs. I was a bit surprised by Marian's desire for a "life-saver", especially when she began sword fighting with several other little boys. I had been sure she'd pick an animal.
Marian's very favorite thing to do here is to chase the chickens. She claims she isn't chasing them, she's not suppose to. I must say however, that when I see her running, and there are chickens running, I usually do think she is chasing them.

She just wants to hold and pet them. She spends hours out there with the chickens. Thank goodness they are too young to lay eggs yet, I'm sure they'd stop laying from the stress of Marian.

The chickens are very good natured though. They do not scratch or peck, and sit quietly when she does manage to snag one. And all the children want to pet and hold it. The chicken will submit to being manhandled with good grace until Marian tires of carting it around.

The kids have done a great job of holding the poor things properly, which helps. The kids so far have been gentle with the chickens, and it is pretty funny to see Marian out in the yard with a hen tucked under one arm, just going about her business.
Yesterday I decided to take the kids to the movies. They love the first "Night at the Museum", so I thought it might be fun to take them to see the new one. Ug.

Yep, they did make goofy faces for this. They argued over popcorn, ran around the theater and Callie asked, "Is this real?" very loudly every 5 minutes which annoyed Joshua enough to shout back, "No, I told you a hundred times already!" She was a bit scared as well, and sat on what's left of my lap for most of the movie. I enjoyed the movie, but I think I will try hard to never take 3 of them together again! They were also cranky and rotten the rest of the day.

3 comments:

Megan said...

I love your pictures and your chicken story. Who needs a dog, cat or fish, when your child can cart around a willing chicken??? Cute. I was thinking of taking my kids to "Monsters vs. Aliens" on Friday at the dollar theater. The big kids are great, but going to the movies with anyone under 5 years old, is never a treat, so I appreciated your movie experience.

Sharon said...

Went to th enight of the museum too, but you know it just didn't keep Drew's attention, the older kids liked it. Up was really cute and they all liked that one. I like the chicken pictures too, I want chickens but mark said no.

Kelli said...

I miss you!! I want to see a prego picture