We left at 7 am Saturday morning (and returned at 10pm Sunday evening). It was a 6 hour ride on the bus. The rest stops on the expressway are awesome! We had a potty stop and then an hour lunch break. Then we got to Kyoto and stopped at the Ryoanji Zen Temple to see a famous rock garden that has been exactly the same for nearly 500 years. Yeah, I didn't find it that thrilling.
Next it was off to the impressive Golden Pavilion. It was crazy packed with tourists because it was a Japanese holiday and this is one of the biggest tourist attractions in Japan. It was pretty cool. Then it was on to the hotel. There was a night tour, but Marian was not interested. We wandered around the few blocks near our hotel and got some dinner and called it an early night.
Chicken for lunch, yes please!
Best rest stop food ever!
The grounds around the Zen temple were gorgeous.
Marian was happy to pose for me.
Sad, but the only photo I took of the Zen Rock Garden was this. I had brought my niece Charlotte's "Flat Stanley" doll with us and this is the only picture I got with this famous site!
The inside rooms had some lovely paintings on the walls.... but you can't see them in the picture. I was impressed though.
The architecture was neat.
And turtles! Who doesn't love Turtles?!
Oooh, pretty!
This is the Golden Pavilion. It was initially a castle, but became a temple after the death of the guy who commissioned it (the third Ashikaga shogun, if that means anything to you!). It was built in 1397.
So enthusiastic!
There we go! We are having fun!
Or maybe not? I love this kid's deadpan face. She'll say, "Take my picture." and give me this face.
I did like this place, but it was jam packed with tourists an you had to just ride along with the crowd. I was pleased with the pictures we got, since we were mostly in motion the whole time!
Vending machine ice cream is awesome!
I loved this picture. The 3 ladies in kimonos going one direction and the man and woman in kimonos coming towards us. The lady is checking out the 3 kimono-clad other ladies.
The fabulous view outside our downtown Kyoto hotel room on the 4th floor.
Breakfast was included and this was our favorite stuff: Marian LOVED the chocolate croissants and I loved the little pork dumplings. Yummy!
Posing with her delicious croissant.
We took the "Western Style" buffet breakfast. This was the option we passed on!

No comments:
Post a Comment