Today was Career Day in the First Grade. Delaney spent the last 2 weeks agonizing over what she would be. She couldn't think of anything. Literally. She told me her brain wasn't working and she could not think. When I asked her what sorts of jobs she thought might like to do when she was grown up, she gave me the you-idiot look and said, "Duh, I can't THINK!"
Fortunately, it was fire safety day last week and she decided she might want to be a fireman. Not for real, she said, but for now. So I found her a fireman jacket at the thrift store and she wore the pink hat she got from the fire truck's visit to the school. Apparently 5 of the 20 points came from the dressing up portion of the assignment, so it was really important she costumed up. She also had a list of questions so she could research her desired career. I nagged her about it and she finally shouted at me that it was done. I'm so sad I didn't get a picture of it before she turned it in. I ultimately had to rework it with her, due to the utter lack of research. The question "Do you need to attend College" was given a "No." By far, my favorite question and response was the "How much money will you make?" To which Delaney had written, "A tun."! I ended up tasking Callie to help with the researching and Callie went above and beyond, writing a lovely speech for Delaney, that sadly lacked a lot of facts as well. But it sure was cute!
Today I got to go over to the school with Rylee and watch 25 First Graders get up and talk about what they wanted to be. Apparently, Firefighter was a popular one, with no less than 6 kids dressed up and ready to talk about it. Delaney was adorable. Like all the other kids, she spoke with her nose in her paper. Most of the kids read the question and then their answers. Delaney did that too. Then she read her prepared speech. She was so pleased with herself when she finished. I love that kid!
And then, because it was 90 minutes till school was out, the teacher said we could take them home if we wanted, so I checked her out of school and we went to the base library. Good times!
Going over it before her turn.
Carefully reading her questions and answers.
Rocking her speech!
Mugging at the library.

No comments:
Post a Comment