Some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue. Today I'm the statue. I can't seem to do a darn thing right. Marian has been requesting I make a banana topping for waffles for breakfast and this morning, I had a little extra time, so I did. I made lovely waffles from scratch and this whipped banana topping. Marian thought it was yummy. Callie tried it, and everyone else refused to even consider sampling it. Rylee and Delaney refused to even eat a waffle. I have a ton of banana flavored whip cream that no one else is going to eat. So frustrating.
I had wanted to make my super yummy cheesecake for my running group, and this morning, I got it done. Unfortunately I'm an idiot. The cheesecake cooks for an hour, and then sits in the oven for another hour, and you are not suppose to open the door at all during those 2 hours. I needed to go to the commissary, and Dan is home, so I didn't want him to accidentally open the oven while I was gone. So I thought it would be a good idea to turn the oven lock on. Silly me, that is apparently reserved only for cleaning, and it shuts off the oven if the dial isn't in "clean" position. So yeah, I turned the oven off halfway through the cooking hour. I'm so cross.
I could have left Rylee home with Dan while I went to buy groceries. But no, I'm on a roll today, so I kept making dumb decisions. I took Rylee with me so she would get out of the house, and I had a short list of stuff to get. How bad could it be? Pretty bad, as it turns out. She cried. She cried that obnoxious, continual, half whimper for 45 minutes. She carried on and on, and would not stop. What was so horrible that it required such a cry-till-your-Mom's-ears-bleed-and-she-might-run-away-and-leave-you-behind cry? I said no, I would not buy cocoa puffs. Yep. That induced 45 minutes of crying that ended with her screaming that she didn't want Daddy to carry her in from the car; she wanted mommy to do it. I let Daddy cary her up to bed and if I am really lucky, she might be asleep by now.
Sadly, I do not even have cheesecake to drown my sorrows in. Maybe I need to go back to bed for a do-over.
Winter Ballet Performances Photos
1 year ago

2 comments:
Rebecca, I love your stories, because they are sooooo real. You are such a good mama, making homemade waffles and topping. You were so patient with Callie and the thorns in her foot. Your children will certainly call you their angel mother--when they are about 40 or so.
Yeah, a friend of mine was lamenting the loss she feels now that her oldest daughter is married. I totally couldn't identify with her - the idea of my kids taking care of themselves and moving away sounds beautiful and completely desirable! So sorry about your cheesecake loss. That is tragic. For the other things- you did everything right and just weren't appreciated. That's not at all the same as being a failure. Even though for me, it usually feels the same. :)
Post a Comment