Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Saturday, November 10, 2012

One Naughty Doggie!

We live in Louisiana.  This means lots of water on occasion.  I have been quite impressed with how fast the water drains after a storm.  The area might flood a bit, but once the water stops coming, it leaves rather quickly.  To achieve such good drainage, there are lots of canals.  Everywhere.  We have canals on 3 sides of our housing section.
This canal separates us from another section of housing.  It is 50 yards from my front door.  Look how little water there is in it.  Sure, it looks like you could walk right across to visit the neighbors.  Sadly, tis not possible.  Partly because of the "Do Not" sign posted there, partly because there might be alligators lurking there, and partly because the solid ground is actually not solid at all.  Levi discovered this the hard way.

I usually put him on a leash to go out to take care of business.  Occasionally, I open the door check for any distractions and if there are no animals or children or people in sight, I let him out to potty and he is good about running out and back quickly.  Yesterday I let him out unrestrained, and as I did, a large bird took flight.  This was irresistible to the dog and off he went.  Never mind that the bird was high in the air and he had no shot at catching it, he was off like a shot.

The bird flew over the canal, and Levi was in hot pursuit.  His pursuit became less fun for him as he discovered the water on top was not clean, and it was not just inches deep.  He emerged on the other side soaked in muck.  And still hot after the bird.  Sigh.  I was not a happy camper.  I fetched a leash and went out to get the silly puppy.  Please refer back to the top picture.  To get across that canal, I have to walk the 1/4 mile down to the street and cross the little bridge, so I started off to do that.

Levi saw me and decided to save me the long walk.  He was smarter this time.  He looked for the driest spot to cross and thought he was going to walk over on dry land.  Twas not to be!  It LOOKS dry and solid, but it is actually close to 2 feet deep of foot sucking nasty mud.  Levi managed to make it across, but he was black from the chest down.

 After several shakes, he was a little less brackish, but still one dirty doggie!

No more white paws for this guy. Yuck!  He was quite distressed and could not be convinced to look up for a picture as he desperately tried to lick his legs clean. 

Look at that face! 

I would not let him in the house until I could give him a bath.  Poor puppy sat outside crying for 30 minutes.  He jumped up on the door and was so pitiful, but you see how dirty he got the window from just his paws?!  Eewww. 

Guilty face.  Yes, that's what that is. 

Guilty yes, but not repentant!  Look at that dried on muck!  It took 10 minutes solid of rinsing before the water washed out clean.  He was absolutely saturated with silty dirt.


One fresh clean doggie, napping in his favorite "cave".

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I am so glad he washed clean. He looks so much better in that last picture.