Up till now, my most memorable girl-doctor visit was the one where they left me in the freezing cold room for a really, really long time. Long enough that I used their phone to call Miranda, who still laughs about me telling her "I'm cold and I'm naked!" Today was only slightly amusing. More so if it hadn't been me!
Today I got to go in for my 6 week check up. Yes, it was well past 6 weeks, but I was able to make back-to-back appointments (for 3 and 3:30) with Rylee for her 2 month check up. I was told I would have to arrive early enough to pee in a cup so they could make sure I wasn't pregnant. Never mind that if I were, it would be too soon to pick it up anyway. I was suppose to go to the pharmacy and pick up the IUD as well. Fortunately I was spared that, but good grief! It can be up to an hour wait at the lab and another hour at the pharmacy, so I had to be prepared for that. So I was early. Quite early.
There was a note on the door of Family Practice saying that due to a water main break, there was an issue with the steam and thus some areas of the hospital would be too cold, and others would be too warm. I got the too warm area.
Rylee and I quietly perspired in the waiting room a bit then got to go to the room. I was sweating so badly in that small enclosed space. And I had to wait another 30 minutes. Once the doctor came in we chatted, made sure I was there for the IUD, yes I understood the risks, and yes I wanted the Paraguard not the Mirena, and all that. She left, I got undressed and waited for her to come back, while reveling in the cooler air down there. This was the first time ever, that I was so ready to get undressed! It was at this point in time that Rylee woke up.
The doctor (who I really like) came back in. Since Rylee was suddenly starving, the doctor left so I could feed the baby. A bit awkward, since I was pantsless, draped in a sheet, sitting on the exam table. Rylee ate and proceeded to poop through her diaper and all over her very cute Hungry Caterpillar outfit. Ug. What do you do? I had a icky baby, no pants on, and I was in a room where the doctor could come back any second. So I changed her, pantslessly (hee hee hee, I made up a word!). Then we hung out and I made faces at her and gushed sweat.
The doctor came back and brought a nurse. I put Rylee down and got as comfortable as one can, and Rylee immediately began to wail. She howled through pretty much all of it. The nurse picked her up once her duties involving her hands were done, but it was no picnic. Not like its a picnic anyway. Or maybe a picnic where you have to sit on pokey rocks and its pouring rain and you are eating dog poop. It might be like that kind of a picnic....
It was then 4:15. The lovely nurse took Rylee out to be weighed and measured while I got dressed. That's why I'm not sure how big she is. She was 11 pounds something. I'm not sure what. She's healthy and fabulous, with a bit of crusty ears and eczema on her neck.
I got home about 5pm. Fun times.
PS What would YOU pay a babysitter who came over for 2 hours and 45 minutes and only watched one child who slept for 1.5 of those hours?

3 comments:
Hilarious!!! Thank you for the laugh. I love your "picnic" description.
Love it! that will be a good memory.
HAHA!!! I laughed out loud several times in a room full of people who had NO idea what I was laughing about. Very funny. I miss you!
P.S. Yes I'd pay the babysitter, but not a lot!
Post a Comment