Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Good Ideas Gone Bad

I had looked up a bunch of fun craft and activity ideas online. I made a list of the stuff that looked like I would do it. Since I hear "I'm bored!" about 50 times a day, I wanted to be prepared. Unfortunately, everything requires time and energy from me and maybe I want to just sit on my bum and not have to entertain them. But I digress.... I meant to tell you about one of the activities we did.

Family Fun suggested using flour instead of sand. I thought this was brilliant. I could just open a bag of flour and it would be much easier than looking for sand to buy and flour should be easier to clean up out of the yard, right? I thought Monday morning was perfect to keep them busy and out of my hair, so I got out the plastic pool, tossed in 10 pounds of flour and all their sand toys. I will say that they had a great time. They jumped in and tossed flour everywhere and played quite well for a while. I got to sit on the porch and read a few chapters in relative peace. Marian thought it was lots of fun to bury her legs in flour, and Joshua liked to throw it in the air and watch it drift away. This resulted in flour all over his sisters, who were not as amused. Then someone started throwing flour on someone else (I think Joshua was trying to make flourballs, which do not work as well as snowballs.), and Delaney got nailed in the face with a handful of flour. Callie tried to wipe her face with a floury hand and got a great flour gotee, and ultimately, everyone was thoroughly coated with it. I had to strip them down before they went into the house. I shook out their clothes and nearly died in a flourstorm. It was a whiteout!

Once in the house, Marian and Callie took baths to get the flour out of their hair. Joshua and Delaney just leaned over and shook most of it out. Sooooo, playing in flour was a lot of fun for them, but it was much messier than I expected! And more clean up too.

Here are the pictures. They don't show the total coating of flour on their clothes. Callie's dress looked completely white. And Joshua's pants are actually a dark blue. I have no idea why he thinks it is funny, but every picture with Joshua in it has the same awful grimace on his face.

5 comments:

Bryn said...

That's funny! The kids are cute. I have the same problem... what do I do to entertain them this summer?

Stjerne said...

YOU ARE MY HERO! I could never do that. I want fun crafts that arent messy. Any ideas? It looks like they had fun.

Jennie said...

You are very brave. I would never have done that. But, your kids look like they had fun.

Beau & Lenette said...

Flour!! Are they insane!! What about when it get's wet, like with snot and spit and all those other little kid grossness? Okay, I'm sorry I just don't do well with having to clean up like that...remember my moon sand issue?:) You are such a patient mommy, you make me green with envy!

Brenda B said...

As messy as that probably was, it sure looked fun!!