Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Friday, December 26, 2014

The Chicken Shack

 On Friday, Dan had an event for work, sort of a Christmas party without the work.  We drove 30 minutes into the mountain to an iconic restaurant here called "The Chicken Shack" by the Americans.  It has a much nicer name in Japanese, but everyone knows it as The Chicken Shack.  Apparently they decorate quite lavishly, and you go for the atmosphere more than the food. It definitely had character!  You really cannot get the full scope of it all in pictures.  It was fun.

Giant Santa to greet you in the parking lot.

Another giant Santa and enormous Christmas tree.  The tree is mainly decorated by those strips of paper.  I think people write their wishes  on them and hang them on the tree.

So happy to be here! 

There was this impressive Santa display.  One of Dan's Japanese co-workers said each Santa represents a different country.  I wasn't sure if each one was collected from that country or not, but I got the impression it was. 

I was unclear on where exactly the restaurant started.  There were 2 of these little buildings.  They sold trinkets and stuff, yet also had billboards with pictures of the trademark chicken on a stick.  I wasn't sure if you could buy your food there or what.  We followed the folks who knew on past this.

We walked through the little buildings to a little area that had this in it!  so pretty. 

There was so much to look at, including this.  No clue what it is, but it sure in interesting! 

This area held outdoor seating.  It was pretty darn cold, so no one was out here, although I understand there are warmers under the blankets to keep your legs warm. 

Since we had reservations, we got to go inside the main building.  It was full of random and fascinating stuff!  There was so much to look at!  From floor to ceiling and on every side was something to see.

While awaiting our food, we were vastly entertained by the table behind us.  This is my sneaky attempt to get a photo over my shoulder.  I should have tried a video.  I know the Japanese are suppose to be very proper and serious.  Um, not so these ladies!  They were playing a game that apparently is popular and and very funny.  They placed a seat cushion on the floor and 2 ladies stood on it, back to back.  They would then bump butts (yes, bump each other with their bottoms!!) and whoever stayed on the cushion was the winner.  So the goal was to bump your opponent off.  It was hysterical to watch and evidently just as fun to play, judging by the sounds of revelry.

Mmmmm... gyoza. 

I had ordered the "Chicken Meal" with no clue what it was.  Well, this was it.  Rice, cabbage salad, miso soup, and chicken.  It was tasty, although they do not debone the chicken.  When you bite into the delicious, crispy chunk of meat, you may  get a yummy bite of just chicken, or you may also get some bone.  Not such a problem, till you throw in the lack of silverware, which limits you to chopsticks!

Did I mention we sat at one of these low tables?!  I am so not meant to sit on the floor! It offered blankets for your lap, but despite that, I was pretty cold by the time we finished.
It was a great experience and it is true, the ambience is fantastic!

No comments: