These are the 2 cuties. We put them in the yard, but they were happier in the house. Levi was ballistic over having actual friends to play with.
I took these pictures and posted them on the housing website. I did say I'd keep them till tomorrow.
It was an odd contrast. They were both very friendly, very social, and very happy to put up with the 3 little girls fawning all over them.
See, totally sweet! But check out the ribs. You could count every one on this dog. I put water out and they guzzled the entire dish. I gave them food and the black dog ate it all in 2 minutes. I put out more and he scarfed that down too. I put the boxer in the house and gave him a bowl of food, since the black dog was obviously not going to share. It vanished also.
See, all the water, and every rib. And no collar.
But check out the sweet face.
So, I have 2 dogs now in my yard who are obviously hungry and thirsty, but also obviously comfortable with people and kids. I realize Dan is coming home tonight and he is NOT going to take kindly to extra animals, and were they to be in the house, he might become apoplectic. Plus, Levi has discovered that the black dog wants his toys and there is some growling going on.
I know I said I'd keep them till tomorrow before turning them over to animal control, but I realized there was no way I could keep them overnight. I had assumed they could hang out in the yard, but when left there, they barked and barked. Reality set in and I made the decision to take them over to the local shelter now, rather than later. What else was I to do with them?
Someone suggested dumping them in the dog park. I didn't feel comfortable with that. These dogs were hungry and thirsty and I didn't want to just release them into the dog park. I had no way of knowing that anyone would get them or that they'd be taken care of at all. So no, I didn't take them to the dog park and turn them loose. I drove them to the shelter (which is a no-kill shelter, by the way) and turned them over. Callie cried all the way home because she loved the dogs and missed them so badly.
So, I get home to a message on facebook that the dogs belong to a lady and she would like them back. Oops, too late. I responded that I had taken the dogs to the shelter. She was not happy. She is quite cross that it is my fault she has no dogs now and she has to tell her children their dogs are gone, and I should have notified housing (which I did) and I should have put them in the dog park (which I was not going to do at all).
Personally, I wanted to tell her it is her own fault for having dogs with no collars, and why the heck is her dog starving? I am kind of glad they are at the shelter. When I turned them in, they commented at the prominent ribs of the boxer. I hope that they don't let her have the dogs back until she knows how to feed them properly. My guess is that the black dog steals all the food and the boxer goes hungry.
So, my question is this, what should I have done? Based on the information I had, I do not feel bad. I still do not feel bad. The dogs had no collars and they were hungry and thirsty. But this lady is not happy with me. What would you have done?

7 comments:
And why can't the lady go to the shelter and pick the dogs up? I think you did good. The dogs had a good place to stay today, and you fed them and gave them water. The dogs should have at least had collars on them. You did contact housing and did what you could. She shouldn't blame you, she should blame herself (which if she isn't willing to do may make her grumpier with you!).
You went the extra mile by feeding, watering, caring for and trying to find their rightful owner. You chose wisely by remembering your priorities are to your husband and children, not stray dogs. I suspect the owner's grumpiness stems from the fact that she is frustrated that it might be difficult to reclaim her poorly cared for dogs. Way to go girl!!
I agree with Deborah. With this added statement/question: Every base we lived on required that the dogs be collared with all pertinent tags. Is this not a rule at your base?
I would have done the same thing you would have. If you love your animals, and they are so darn important to you, you should tag them and take good care of them. I think the lady is just trying to pass blame that she should take herself. Sleep easy!
In the real world, ie, not a base, I wouldn't post or contact anyone, except the animal shelter. I have found one dog and one cat on two seperate occasions, and have brought both to the shelter. If your animal is missing, then call the shelter to see if some kind person cared enough to take your animal to a safe place. You did the right thing.
I guess it's a good thing you aren't close friends anyway. :) You did a pretty great thing. Unless you wanted to leave her dogs there to maybe get hit by a car. I know it's uncomfortable to have people mad at you, but sometimes people are mad when you do the right thing. Mostly because it makes them look bad. :)
I agree with what you did. I hope the shelter finds a better home for them and doesn't give the dogs back to her. Poor dogs.
Post a Comment