I occasionally run with a fabulous group of ladies called The Stroller Warriors. These women talked me into registering for the Jazz 5k. I didn't realize till this week that everyone else but me and one other lady will be doing the half marathon. I had signed up with visions of a girls day out with us all carpooling out and running and hanging out and being together. Mind you, while I know these women by sight and visit with them and sometimes run with them, I would not say we are good friends. Friends, yes. Friends one step up from acquaintances, mostly.
So now I am really stressed out. I tend to find the idea of things much more exciting than the actual doing of it. I am suppose to run in my very first real 5k in a week and I'm already thinking of backing out. There are so many things making me neurotic right now. I had hoped to carpool out, because I detest driving into New Orleans and trying to find parking. I really wanted someone else to do that, not me! I really wanted to run with a familiar face. Now I have to figure out if I'm going to meet up with the one fellow 5k runner and do a much slower time than I could by myself, or deal with doing it all by myself.
And then, what do I bring?! Being me, I like to be prepared for anything. This means, I'd prefer to pack well, everything! I'd bring lots of water, a snack, maybe my mp3 player, ID, a light jacket, cell phone.... and whatever else suddenly seemed important as I walked out the door. However, this is New Orleans, You do not want to be bringing stuff that will sit unattended. Since there is no way I'm running with a backpack, this stresses me out. What do people normally do with their stuff when they race? I've gone with Dan to most of his races, so I know someone tends to hold it for him. But if I go all by myself (or all the people I'm with are also running) then what do I do with my stuff? Fanny pack? Yikes, no! If I drive myself and manage to not get lost and find a place to park my car, I can leave thing in it, but it would be a hike away, and I'd still need to carry things like keys and ID.
I also worry about bathroom facilities. I drink a lot of water. On a normal running morning, I down 20 oz before I head out the door. This works fine because it doesn't have time to travel down and cause problems and I sweat it out while I run. I down another 20 oz when I get home. But if I have to drive to a race? Then what? Well, I'm sure I'll have to go by the time I get there, won't I?! That means I'll probably want to carry hand sanitizer as well. Sigh.
Sure, It sounds so silly as I write it all down now, but these are very big issues in my neurotic little mind. I'm sure I'll have a full report next Saturday on how it all went.
And now, something for Grandma to enjoy:
Rylee wanted a picture of her being silly. That does tend to be most of the time!
Joshua had to get 2 immunizations. I loved that they gave him Bugs Bunny Band aids, and he thought it would be great to pose with them. That's my tough guy!
And here is my sweet, good natured dog, loved by all, tortured by all, and long suffering through it all!

No comments:
Post a Comment