For anyone who is not familiar with the Duggars, they are an Arkansas family with 19 children. They have a tv show on TLC called "18 Kids and counting".... well, now I guess it is 19 kids. I like to them watch because they are an Arkansas family and because they are one of the VERY few families on television with actual values, morales, and modesty. Plus, they look so happy and have fun together. I mean, actual FUN as a family. Its a novel concept for tv and I like them.
So, seeing that screaming title on the cover of the magazine really annoyed me. It annoyed me all the way home. It annoyed me as I tried to nap this afternoon, but coughed and coughed instead. It annoyed me through dinner, and now I must sit here and complain about it. The article includes quotes from a surgeon who believes that Michelle and Jim Bob cannot provide adequate emotional and financial resources for their children. Wow. Apparently this surgeon has never met them, never watched their show, or never learned a thing about the people he is commenting on. That really, really annoys me.
In this world, so many people have one or 2 children and cannot provide emotional or financial support for them. If a mom is working 40 hours a week, how much emotional support is she providing her child or children? Honestly. If you see your kid for 30 minutes as you rush them to daycare or school, and then see them for an hour or 2 before bedtime while you try to do all the mom things you didn't do while you were at work, there is no way you are spending as much quality time with your kid. Compare that to Michelle Duggar, who stays at home and home-schools her children. I'm going to bet that she spends more time with each of her 18 (now 19) children than the working mom does with her one or 2. (And this is not an attack on the working mom, just on the argument that Michelle Duggar doesn't have enough love to go around.) She is also thrilled with each new addition, as are all of her children. Plus, she actually likes her children, and likes to be with them! Imagine that!
And financially.... I'll bet that the surgeon in the article has more debt than the Duggars. Did you know they built their house debt free? They keep out of debt and don't spend more than they earn. How can this man possibly claim that they can't financially support their children? Who is he to pass judgement on this family? How many other families (yes, especially those families with one child or no children) can claim to be debt free? We have mortgage and car debt, and that's all. We do not have credit card debt or other debt. And we manage to do it on Dan's salary alone. But to be totally debt free with 19 children? That is amazing! Beat that, you moron surgeon.
Do we have too many children? How many IS too many children? Who gets to judge? Oh wait, I guess on this blog, I get to judge! I proclaim that if your children are happy, healthy and like to be together, then you are doing just fine. If you wanted and were delighted to bear and deliver each one, then you are better than average! If your children have clean clothes to wear and food to eat, then you are doing just fine. If you are not in the looney bin, then you are doing great. If you like your children (and I mean most of the time!) then you are doing just fine. If you are debt free, or close to it, then you are not only doing just fine, but better than that.
How many kids is too many? That's a stupid question.

6 comments:
The duggars are an amazing family. And pretty unique for as many kids they have. Although I do think a few people should not have that many kids, the ones who don't take care of them, don't have the means, and the kids are suffering from lots of lack of parents love. The duggars kids are all well loved, educated, kind, charitable, loving, etc. So I like that show too, and I was thinking of you, did you see them go to little rock for the baby? Did that bring back memories?
I agree- I know there are definitely people who have tooooo many just by having one, but the Duggars are not them. In fact some days I wonder with my three, but that is me and my children are I believe well loved and taken care of. Have food (warm food to eat, even if they choose not to eat it) and generally happy dudes, and actually I have found that baby Sam is at the present time the most loved child we have.... not that we don't love them all, but his brothers love him to pieces and can't get enough of him. So maybe the more we have the more love there will be in this family... hehehe...
amen!
It was a totally cute picture. The title bugged me, as well. Who gets to say that about anybody!?
I agree with you. They have a wonderful family.
i thought it was pretty creepy of the mag to use that as their title - the family obviously cooperated for the article, and even if the article itself is neutral or positive, the title implies judgement - at the very least it invites EVERYONE to judge this family - which as you stated well, isn't really their place.
Post a Comment