My parents taught me to work. They made me work when I was a kid, and I don't mind the menial labor jobs. There really is satisfaction in doing your job well, be it making cookies at the Brick Oven, or mopping the floors of the hospital. Yes, I actually enjoyed being housekeeping staff at the hospital. I worked 9pm-2am, cleaning bathrooms and other things. I didn't mind it at all. I minded the politics and other things, but the work was fine.
So, having read this article, I felt guilty. I am not doing very well on teaching my children to work. Its so much easier to do it myself. I don't mind doing it myself, either. To make it tougher, I'm not sure HOW to teach them to work. I know there are chores to do and rooms to clean, but how to make that a lesson in working because we need to, because it has to be done, and it can be done with a joyful heart? That's what I'm struggling with.
This week the messy house was a bit overwhelming, and after the girls knocked over the Christmas tree, Dan decided it was time to do something about it. So half the house was sparkly clean. I decided the kids needed some serious room-cleaning, and today I told them it was time. I told them what I expected and I told them that if all that got done, we could have an ice cream sundae party. The jumped to it with great delight. They stripped the sheets from their beds, picked up toys, emptied the trash, organized stuffed animals, and put the laundry away. There were no complaints and they all worked together with glee. It was wonderful!
My concern is, does this sort of reward/bribe teach them to work, or merely teach them that they need a reward to do work? It was wonderful to have it all done with a cheerful attitude, but will that translate to real-world situations? This mom stuff is hard sometimes.
But the ice cream sundaes were delicious!

5 comments:
I'm right in the middle of this with you and have the same concerns. What I currently do...the kids have jobs they do just because they're part of our family. If they do stuff above and beyond or I ask them to do extras, then the rewards kick in. That said, I've been known to tell them if they can get their required jobs done by a certain time, we can go to the park or have a special treat, etc. Good luck! I think you're doing great!
This is tricky. When they are 12 it's much easier! :) What my manager told me (She's LDS, working mom of 5 kids now almost grown), is you teach one child at a time, have them shadow you like you would at a job, making sure they get each detail of what is required of the particular job. After you have the child shadow you a couple of times, you shadow them. Then they know what's required. I think she would start at like age 3 for rooms and bed making. Do it at a time when the house hasn't overcome you yet. Great idea, haven't been able to try it yet, she just told me. I like it.
I have no advice for you...sorry! But I did want to say I read that article too, and quite enjoyed it! I also have been thinking about the fact that keeping an orderly home, taking care of Denali, etc. is my "job" and I should take it more seriously and spend less time blogging.... OOPS! :) That's what the new year is for, right?
I think Mom & Dad kind of taught us by rewarding us for getting our chores done early (remember the ice cream sandwiches if we cleaned house on Friday), but no reward if we waited til Saturday, and a heavy hand if we didn't do it at all or complete what we were supposed to. At least, I learned it had to be done and you may as well get the ice cream too - which makes me joyful. :) Miranda
It really is important to teach children how to work. They are apprentice adults and so by the time they are 18 you must have taught them everything they need to be fully functioning adults.
It's hard... really difficult... in the beginning in the teaching part. But down the line, when they are doing their laundry, cleaning their rooms, making their lunches, etc... then you reap the rewards of more time and more fun times to spend with them.
I really like Bryn's idea of shadowing. That way you both know you both know what's expected.
Post a Comment