The current problem is Santa. I am not a huge Santa fan. I fail to see what a man in a red suit who gives kids toys has to do with the real meaning of Christmas. A man who encourages greed and commercialism has no relationship to the spirit of Christmas that I cherish. Last year we had a child old enough to question the existence of Santa. I would have just been honest, but Dan surprised me with a fervor for the fat man. This whole Santa thing is actually pretty important to him. Who knew?!! Not I.
Since Dan felt strongly about perpetuating the Santa myth, I agreed to not crush the possibility that he existed. When Joshua persisted in asking, I sent him to Dan who essentially told him if he wanted presents, he darn well better believe. The kid is an ardent believer now. He sent a Christmas list off in September, before I had a chance to grab it off the mail holder. He is now under the impression that he merely needs to ask and his wishes will be granted.
Joshua told me he wanted a Nintendo DS for Christmas. I said he wasn't getting one. He said, that was okay, he would ask Santa. Um.... why would I want my kid thinking he just has to ask this imaginary man for something and he's going to get it?!!! I told him I was telling Santa not to bring him one. So he's not holding out too much hope for it. He's hoping for some other things I'm pretty sure he wont get though. And that's why I don't like Santa. Why can't I just tell my children that we give gifts because we love each other and it symbolizes the gifts given to Christ? Why can't I tell them we are celebrating Jesus' birthday by giving thoughtful presents to each other to show love? Why do we need to include Santa? What, exactly, does Santa offer to me in terms of celebrating the birth of our Savior?
I try to pawn the kids off to Dan when they ask about Santa, but he's at work all day and I'm the one who gets to have these little gems of conversations with them. I don't like it. It feels like lying to me. If I saw more of a purpose in it, I would feel better about it, but I just don't like Santa. I want Christmas to mean something to them, not just that they get presents. I know that they are children and that's about all they'll get from Christmas for a while, but still, I'd like to think they were learning something a little deeper as well.
How do you deal with it? What do you think?

5 comments:
Well, my kids aren't really old enough to doubt Santa, so take this with a grain of salt. I think that believing in Santa is one of those innocence of children things that I wouldn't want to take away from them. I think its good fun. However i also think that it takes way from the true spirit of Christmas. That's why a few years ago we instigated a 3 present rule. My kids get 3 presents on Christmas morning because Jesus got 3 presents. They get 1 from Santa, 1 from us and 1 from each other. For now, when Savannah asks questions about Santa I ask her what she thinks, (like "How does Santa know if she's good.") but once they are older I fully intend the replace "Santa the jolly fat man" with "Santa a symbol representing the wise men; a stranger who brought gifts because of good will."
I don't really have to deal with the Santa question yet, but here are a couple of my thoughts on the subject (in no particular order).
I think the main problem with Santa is that he seems to have moved away from the conditional giver ("He know if you've been good or bad, so be good for goodness sake!") to an unconditional giver (He gives you whatever you want).
I think that the use of Santa can teach kids that they don't always get what they want. I remember as a kid having huge wishlists for Christmas, (like circling everything in the toy catalog) and I don't know that I ever got anything that I circled. But I still enjoyed my presents.
I guess I kinda like Santa. I feel that he represents the generous side of Christmas-- helping those in need, giving to those who may not have much. He is a happy, hopeful icon. It is true that Jesus is the reason for the season, and should be talked about more than Santa, but I think that Santa can have a supporting role.
I like the wonder and excitement that Santa brings to Sarah.
I'm totally with you. As we don't have kids yet, I've contemplated the idea of not having the Santa myth perpetuated in our home. I agree that a list made to Santa automatically means you'll get the whole thing. Our society is one of entitlement, and I don't want my kids to be that way. But how to you not have Santa, and have your kids ruin it for those kids whose parent have them believe in the myth? That is my struggle. I'm just glad I'm not the only one who feels confusion about it. Good luck!
I am a big fan of Santa, obviously I have kids who question, we say the same thing to them, well if you don't believe he doesn't need to bring you gifts. I also have had the well santa will bring it, thankfully santa does not bring a lot. I tell them, santa can't just bring whatever you want, do you deserve, need, will you use it. I don't know. But Each year I tell the story of the Symbols of Christmas and it starts with Santa crying and they ask why, Anyway he goes trhough all the symbols from the tree, to candy canes, and himself, he represents Jesus, because he gave the ulimate gift, and like Carley said, the 3 wise men, and what Deember is generostity, and good will. And that is why we even have Santa to begin with. I really like the Polor express, at the end I get cholked us they sing the song Believe, to me I compare it to Believing in Jesus. I don't know I love Christmas, and hope i'm teaching my kids the true meaning of Christmas, even if they believe in Santa. I think Michael knows but he is like me if you give in totally the magic is gone, and you want it to last as long as you can, even if you don't get what you want. Sorry long answer. But that stroy is called TEach the Children, and normally I have a thing for each symbol. And i think we'll do the 12 days of Christmas to someone too.
I agree with carly...it's a childs imagination that should be cultivated. There is time in the future when they no longer will believe that you will be able to fully teach them the real meaning of Christmas. I believed in Santa as a kid and have no problems with the understanding of it now. I LOVE the magic of Santa and all that the Christmas season brings, I love my kids getting excited about Santa and of giving and all that comes with it good and bad. No, they don't always get what they want and I tell them that flat out...you're not getting that! We teach them in little ways now about Christ's Birth and the importance of that...once the belief of Santa is gone that is what will be there. You are getting to the end of it for Josh so hold on a few more years and you'll get to have it your way! :)
Post a Comment