Yesterday Grandpa installed a Zip Line. Joshua had decided last summer that we needed one. There were grand plans about it, such as maybe it should run from the porch to the
tree house, or we should build another tree house and run the
zip line to it. It took this long to think about it, plan it, and then to purchase and install it. Joshua was quite pleased. Unfortunately, I am not sure it came out like anyone (except Grandpa) had envisioned. It SOUNDED like a great idea to have it zip from the tree house. Um.... the tree house floor is 7 feet up, so the zip line ended up being quite a bit higher than I expected. The kids were a little intimidated to say the least.

During the trying-to-see-if-the-kids-could-sit-on-it phase they were hesitant to even try. Look at the concern on Callie's face. Even getting her to sit and hold on was a feat here.

Here Grandpa is showing them its not so hard. Look how unconvinced they are! Marian actually got on it, then cried and backed off. Joshua didn't even get his legs wrapped around it before he chickened out. (I don't blame them! It is pretty high up!!)

Fine, Grandpa said, I'll show you how it works.

Whoops!!!!

And now Mom shows us all how its done.

Joshua got on, but only so he could be pulled from the bottom up. He's still not sure if this is fun or not!

Callie didn't start off at the top either. She just zipped back and forth from the bottom. But she's on it now, at least.

Marian is a lot braver. And
she's pretty daring. It didn't take her long to graduate from sedentary rides from the bottom, to jumping off the top and flying down the line.

And now Joshua is feeling braver. It's starting to feel like fun!
It took the afternoon, but by last night, the 2 older kids had figured it out and were flying down the zip line from the top of the tree house. They have a pretty good technique going on which requires some sharing, which is pretty cool for me to see. And after church today, Dan helped Callie climb on and go down from the top. What adventurous and brave children I have!! Although I admit to having a small concern that we may have a trip to the ER in our future!
2 comments:
Wow, you are brave to let them have one of those. I would be too scared.
That does look like fun, I would be a little nervous with the little seat. How fun though.
Post a Comment