Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Friday, October 14, 2016

Mandatory Family Fun

I feel like we have been in a rut.  We have been to most of the close-by places and are kind of running out of new things to do, and the kids (and me too) are perfectly happy to do nothing on our days off. I have been feeling like we should be doing more when we do have the opportunity, so I decided we needed to take advantage of Columbus Day and go and DO something.  Dan backed me up on that and we decided to drive 45 minutes south to the Yamaguchi FlowerLand, which is also right next to the Yanai Wellness Center.  I wasn't entirely sure what to expect.

The children were not happy.  Actually, two were cooperative, one was indifferent and  unenthusiastic, and two were downright horrid.  They were NOT going to have any fun.  They were going to be angry and miserable no matter what.  It reminded me why we rarely do go out to do stuff.  It is hard to get out with everyone.  It is tough to find things that are interesting for little kids and teens.  It also reminded me that attitude is everything!

I very much wanted to shake a certain child, but I refrained.  I smiled and said encouraging things as we drove down and made them get out and meander around the FlowerLand. I umm-hmmmed sympathized as the complaining and whining became more annoying. I did not throat punch anyone.

 It was pretty and I bet it is gorgeous in the spring. There were also fun things to do tucked all over. Most of the kids managed to enjoy the playground, but only a little.

It was a grueling morning.  We were at the FlowerLand for less than an hour and I considered that a victory.  I made them go to theWellness Center just out of spite for the rotten attitudes, and it had an amazing playground.  Well worth going to, and the four girls had an enjoyable time.  I could see that Joshua had a point though.... at age 7, Rylee was still older than most of the Japanese kids there.

We didn't stay too long, just long enough to find a better attitude.  Then we headed home, with a stop at 7-11 for delicious food and ice cream and we arrived home with smiles and cheery faces.  So, kind- of, sort-of a win.

I took too many pictures to document the historic Leaving of the House, so you can see how much fun we DID NOT have.

 Waiting to pay and go in.

Smelling the flowers, since we are in FlowerLand. 

They wanted a picture on the bridge and then made silly poses that you can't really see. 

The flowers were gorgeous.  You can't see the glorious color here though. 

Delaney, not having fun hopping around the flower. 

Not having fun playing on this. 

Not enjoying the beautiful stream and lovely flowers. 

It was so pretty, and the colors really were vivid. 

Rylee is not having fun on the cargo net.  

Ha ha ha!  Marian is deadpan not having fun on the roller slide! 

Nope, no fun for Callie. 

Rylee did not enjoy it at all either. 

All those rollers do vibrate your bum a bit, so Delaney legitimately was about done after the 5th time down. But she's definitely not smiling here.

Just to see how awful it was, Dan took a trip down the slide himself. 

Little tree-fort in the woods!  Totally NOT fun at all. 

Hiking through the beautiful woods on a glorious Fall day?  Utterly dreadful. 

Having an awful time. 

I just have to comment.... this looks like a lot of fun right? Well it isn't.  It is a ferris wheel, FOR PLANTS.  Not for actual people.  The kids felt so cheated. 

Large grassy area for playing, that can't be fun at all. 

Nope, they did not like it one bit. 

This is the face of indifferent boredom. 

This is the face of a kid who came very close to being beaten. 

Super fun play structure at the Wellness Center.  It may possibly have been a tiny bit fun. 

But not very much fun.  Really, who could enjoy this?! 

Certainly not these girls. 

Okay maybe a little. 

A very very little. 

And only for a little while. 

Rylee does have good roller slide technique. 

And Callie just cheats. 

Dan schooled the kids on the rings and showed them how to do pull ups. 

And we let the GPS guide us home and it sent us by way of some of these little streets.  Good times!

1 comment:

Megan said...

I surely do love you for reporting that your kids aren't always loving and cheerful. Doing things as a family is often not fun, because of bad attitudes. Good job in not killing anyone and trying to have some fun as you explore new places.