Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Kyoto: Sanjusangen-do Temple

The Sanjusan-do Temple was our second stop on Saturday.  Sadly, no photos were permitted inside so I can't show you what it is most famous for.  The temple is gi-normous and took a good 15 minutes to circle inside.  There ate 1001 wooden statues of goddess of Mercy.  I was less impressed with them because they are identical- no creativity at all there.  However, the sheer number is rather impressive. Plus there were other statues depicting buddha and those were all very different and fun to see.

The grounds around the temple were lovely and fun to stroll around.
Rats, I just realized these first photos are from the Torii Inari Shrine.  Meh.

Too much trouble to move it to the other post, so yeah, this belonged with the pari Shrine pictures.

As does this.  I thought this was funny- traditional kimono-wearing couple taking selfies.

I love that the bathroom felt the need to give specific directions on how to use it!

Okay, on to the pretty temple grounds....
It was really cool to see so many people in kimonos. And cute to see them taking pictures of each other.

This is the short end of the temple, and looks much smaller from here.

Dan, hamming it up in front of the.... rock.

Pretty shrine.

The ceremonial bell.
This was a shrine dedicated to babies that cry in the middle of the night.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

So, my question is, who is helped by the shrine to babies that cry in the middle of the night? Is it to comfort the baby? Or the parent who has to comfort the crying baby in the middle of the night?