Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Friday, September 30, 2016

Kyoto: Ginkakuji Temple (The Silver Pavilion)

 The next morning we enjoyed a questionably Japanese breakfast at the hotel and then headed off to the Ginkakuji Temple, which is also known as the Silver Pavilion.... despite it not being silver at all.

Someone in 1460 wanted to make it a retirement community but it became a zen temple after he died.  It was a gorgeous place and I would love to retire somewhere like that!

The (not even a little bit) Silver Pavilion.

Selfie with the giant sand sculpture. 

This is suppose to represent waves and Mt Fuji.  I wanted SO badly to poke it.  Is it made all of loose sand?  Will it crumble if you poke it?  Do they have to fix it every time it rains or the wind blows?!!  These were all unanswered questions. 

So pretty! 

It was definitely a place to find your zen. 

I could have spent a full day relaxing there. 

High up view, with the city behind the Pavilion. 

Up front view.  Nope, no silver to be seen.  But there is an awesome chicken... er... phoenix, perched on top.  "The bronze phoenix on the roof facing east constantly guards Ginkakuji". 

My "I was there" shot.  The shadows were dreadful. 

Dan thought the puking buns behind him were worthy of a photo.

No comments: