Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Thinking

Yesterday we had a Relief Society Birthday Brunch.  They had asked us to share times when we had been served by others. I could not think of any off the top of my head. I am not sure if I have a really bad memory or if I don't notice when I am being served.

It took several days of pondering to come to the conclusion that I'm either hard to serve or I really do not remember when it has happened.  I do know I will be forever grateful before my dear sweet neighbor in Cherry Point who was always there for me and a wonderful friend, especially when Dan was deployed.  I guess I always put that under the "Friendship" category, but it was service as well.

I did come up with one true act of service that touched me in it's simplicity.  We had to move houses when we were in VA.  We were moving a mile away and doing it ourselves.  I do not know how the bishop's wife knew what day we were moving stuff over, and I doubt we'd asked for help at all.  But she showed up with a plate of amazing brownies and walked in to help.  It touched me because she just came in quietly.  She didn't ask what she could do, she said, "I'll help with this" and did it.  She helped move my kitchen and it was lovely to have her.  She only stayed maybe 2 hours, and she left as quietly as she came.  But that was what impressed me.  She came, she worked and she left, without ever making a big deal of it. Plus, those brownies were so yummy and were truly what I needed to feel better about the crazy that was going on around me.  The bishop's wife was a quiet lady, super nice, but liked to stay in the background.  Yet she saw a way to help and did it without any fanfare.  She soothed my soul that day.  I want to be like her.

No comments: