Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Great Adventure: Monday: Venice

 WARNING:  Lengthy post with a multitude of photos, and I mean, a multitude of photos, ahead!!

Monday we went to Venice.  We'd heard in church on Sunday that Carnival was in full swing.  Since we hadn't seen any evidence of it in Verona on Saturday, we didn't worry about it.  That was probably a good thing, because had I known ahead of time, I might not have gone, and I would have really missed out!  I hate crowds and would never willingly have gone to an unknown foreign city with that many people.  But it was SO MUCH fun!  I realized it was because I had no children to worry about.  I didn't have to freak out that someone was going to get lost.  And we didn't have to be anywhere. There was no schedule and no place I had to be running off to.  So it wasn't stressful.  It was a good time!  We spent a good 6 hours walking all over Venice.  Part of that last hour was totally lost, but it was still great!  Venice is gorgeous.  So beautiful, no matter where we were.

The crowds were beyond insane.  At least half the people were dressed up in some way.  Many just had a mask on, but there were varying degrees of dressed up and it was a lot of fun to spot elaborate or intricate outfits.  We had hoped to have some good photos of St Mark's Square, but it was so packed with people!  And they were doing work on the big cathedral, so the pictures are not as glorious as I had hoped.  But we had a most excellent day!

The drive into Venice. Pretty!

Me and my favorite man in Venice!

I am in love with all the colors and facades on the buildings.  Why don't we have that?!

Me and the pretty buildings in Venice.

 We went to this neat Museum.  It was all about the history of the Jews in Venice.  It was really interesting, but you were not allowed to take any pictures.  My fingers were itching for the camera, but I did not disobey the rule! So this is all I got.  And it was pretty cool to learn the history. I like it!

That section of the city was the Gheto and we wandered all over it.  (It looked just like the rest of the city, in case you were wondering!)

My dad snapped this picture of us strolling down the street. I don't know why I do not look completely enthralled.  I certainly WAS enthralled! (I must have been trying to talk Dan into something!)

Another sneak photo by Dad!  Funny thing is, we'd lost them in the crowd, so this is me and Dan, scanning the hoards for a glimpse of my folks.  Apparently they knew exactly where we were!

The alleys in Venice were awesome!  I loved walking around them. Most were not this empty.  Mostly they were to0 packed to even consider taking pictures- seriously, it was wall to wall people and I feared losing Dan and my folks in it!

Me and the pretty building.

What the pretty building looks like without me!  I loved looking at all the architecture.  It was so amazing!

My first authentic Italian Pizza!  It did not disappoint.

Perusing the souvenir shop. Yes, I did make purchases!

More pretty buildings.  I swoon.  Every time.

Something important that tourists like.  I already forgot what it was, but it was impressive!

And now I can say, "I was there!"

These were just one of the millions of costumed people roaming the crowds.  They were very gracious about posing with everyone.  The really funny thing is, once mom and I stepped next to them for this photo, there was a audible sigh from the 10 people all trying to take a picture of them.  We were ruining their shots!

 We must have crossed at least 20 of these little bridges across canals.  Much cooler canals than back in Nola!

We found St. Mark's Square!  Awesome buildings!  

 It's me, in St Mark's Square!

Just look at this awesome stuff in the archways of the building!  Who does this?!!I totally want it on my house!  Well, maybe with a different theme.

 The other side of the square.

 See the crowds?!  And see how gorgeous the building is?  Those glorious painted domes above the door astound me.

And each one is different.

Proof I was there. You know, in case the other 500 pictures weren't enough!  

I know, I need to just start a "Selfie Blog" where I post all my selfies!  But this was a different angle with the cool domed rooftop!

There were SO many costumed people in the square.  Dad had to stop and get pictures of everyone of them!  And I had to semi-photobomb on this one.

My absolute favorite shot of all!  Dad took this.  It is totally untouched.

Some kind of creepy wicker people.

An interesting tree lady.

 The crowds and building in St Mark's Square.

The official picture of the sign.

I loved this picture- look at their faces!  My mom is hanging out, the dude is checking her out, and the lady is giving him a cross look.  

More crowd and pretty building.  I'm sure it is from a different angle, right?!  I just love the architecture!

 I'm not sure if you can see how jam packed the bridge is.  We had just come to the realization that we needed to cross that bridge!  Crazy crowds!

Carnival-ers in a gondola.

Ahhhhh, so incredible! I may frame this shot for my wall.

Having my first gelatto.  It was divine!

This guy was singing on a corner for money.  He was amazing! 

We walked past a plaza with this skate rink set up.  I thought these orange seals were brilliant!  What a way to have fun and not fall!

Lovely view of one of the alley canals.

The less beautiful, but just as fascinating non-watery alley.  See how narrow it is?!  Yeah, we walked around a lot of these!  Did I mention how lost we got?

Loved walking by these guys.  And check out Charlie Chaplin behind them!

When lost in Venice... Take selfies!

Did I mention we wandered through a LOT of these?!

And we passed a lot of these.  And yep, they were gorgeous every time!

Have I mentioned how much I love this view?

Best part of Carnival was seeing whole families dressed up.  And even better was this adorable little dog, in costume too!

My parents are so cute!

On the way out of Venice.  Love the city!

And then we went out to eat and a real restaurant in Vicenza, in the city. Oh. My. Yumminess!

Dad just went for the pizza.

A most excellent day was had by all.

No comments: