Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Friday, February 22, 2013

Daddy's Gone Dinner!

 Sometimes, when Daddy is out of town, you don't feel like cooking.  Okay, fine, when Daddy is gone, I definitely don't feel like cooking!  Sadly, the kids still need to be fed and I know our budget and health can't handle having McDonald's every time Dan is gone.  We have found a lovely little meal, that may not actually be healthier than Micky D's, but it is certainly cheaper!

Let me introduce you to Squid Dogs!  You can go to the link, but I just wanted to give credit where it is due.  I found this little gem in a Family Fun magazine a while ago.  Back before Parent's magazine bought them out and ruined their website.   So don't bother to go to their link, I'm going to do a much better job telling you how to make it!

First, you are going to cut up a package of hot dogs.  Then you are going to skewer them with dry spaghetti.  I like to put about 4 pieces of spaghetti in each hotdog, but smaller chunks of hotdog will have room for fewer pieces of pasta. And if you have kids helping you with this part, you may end up with some interesting things going on with them.

Here is what it will look like as you make them, before cooking them.

Once you have all your hot dogs speared by spaghetti, dump them in a large pot of boiling water. 

I know, they don't really fit.  This is a 4 quart pot.  Just give it a minute for the pasta to soften. 

See, the spaghetti in the water is becoming flexible, and you can just push the tops gently into the water now.  The pasta will all fit in and cook away.

 Told ya, it's all in there!

 Nearly done.

 When the pasta is soft enough to eat, drain the pot.  You might want to add some butter or oil here, so it doesn't all clump and stick together.

Serve it up and prepare to be the most beloved mom, ever!  Some of my kids like it with spaghetti sauce, but most just want a bunch of Parmesan cheese on it.

Either way, it makes them happy!

No comments: