It is yucky here. Yucky hot. Yucky rain. Yucky to be outside. Yucky if the sun is shining, yucky if the sun isn't shining. Mostly lately, it isn't. Mostly we've gotten rain. Lots and lots of rain. Sadly, the rain is usually accompanied by some spectacular thunder and lightning, so the pools tend to close when the rain comes along. The problem is that the pool is about the only outdoor activity you can do here in swampland. Fortunately we have found a few things to do to keep the kids occupied this summer. I am very very grateful to be able to go to the big library, even though we are not in that parish. They have a marvelous story time, and there was a special program this week.
The library also has this awesome light table. The kids LOVE it!
These 2 even played fairly nicely with it which is an astounding feat.
And then there was the program. Behind Rylee you can see the 2 ladies. They had cockroach hand puppets and read a very fun book about cockroaches and beignets. I confess that I was laughing more than the children. They were that good.
And then we finally got around to making beignets. I have never had one before, but we found a good recipe at ourbestbites and Delaney helped me out. It was fairly easy to make.
The finished product. It looks a lot like the "scones" my mom made us when we were kids. Somehow, they were not as yummy as I had imagined. I was in the minority. A minority of one.
Rylee thought they were very good. Or maybe it was just the powdered sugar. I found several beignets with the tops eaten off at her place later.
Marian proclaimed them really really good!

No comments:
Post a Comment