Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Josh's Last Cross Country Meet- Sasebo

Josh's last Cross Country Meet was in Sasebo.  He ended up with a fairly light schedule this year- he missed the first two meets due to an injury.  He skipped out on one of the Tama Hills meets because he had a friend visiting.  And the last Tama Hills meet was cancelled since it was scheduled as an away meet on our Homecoming weekend. So Josh ended up going to Tama Hills twice (out of 4 trips), participating in the home meet, and going to Sasebo once (out of 2 meets).  Only the top 5 boys went up to Misawa and to the Far East Tournament, and he wasn't top 5.  It was a pretty laid back season for him.  Although he may not have felt that way!

But I digress..... We went to Sasebo!

There was no school that Friday.  Joshua and the Cross Country team got on a bus at 8am and departed then.  I got a call from Joshua, not from his phone, at 10:30am  "I can't hear you because it is too noisy.  Don't worry.  We are standing by the road so it is loud.  You probably got the email that the bus was in an accident.  Don't worry, no one is hurt.  Bye!"

Um, I had NOT read the email, so I ran off to do so. It said essentially the same thing, so that was not helpful.  And why didn't he call from HIS phone?! I had visions of his phone engulfed in flames on the bus while he watched.  And I worried and was concerned that I had no way to contact him.  He had said they were fine though, and no one said there was a problem. So I hoped there really wasn't one.

Dan took the afternoon off and we headed out at 1pm.  We did pass the bus 2 hours later- it was getting ready to be towed away.  No boys in sight.  We swung through the next rest stop 3km down the road.  It also was devoid of American high school students.  We continued on and reached Sasebo just after 5pm.  Joshua texted and said he had also just arrived.

We went out to dinner at Chilis and yum!  As we were leaving, the Cross Country Team was coming in, and we got the scoop on the incident.  The bus had slowed or stopped for traffic, just after a curve in the road.  Cars coming up behind them were unaware of the slower traffic, and the guy coming up right behind the bus switched lanes and the poor car behind him didn't know till it was everlastingly too late and he ran into the back of the bus.  The coach was thrilled to mention that the boys all got rides in Japanese police cars over to the rest stop. He said he had pictures, but he has not shared them, although I await eagerly to see this.

We stayed the night at the billeting on base and it was less pleasant than it has been on prior trips- bed with a dreadful sag in the middle and AC that clicked on noisily when it cycled on.

But the sunrise was glorious. And I enjoyed it fully as I went out to get lots and lots of Dunkin Donuts.  I wish WE had a Dunkin.

We opted to sleep in an extra hour rather than follow the bus to the meet site.  I had a pin on my phone and it managed to get us almost all the way there.

I remembered the last mile or so being narrow, but not THIS narrow!

Several miles up the mountain with no place to turn around, and we were starting to get nervous! There isn't room to even pass someone else.  Thank goodness we didn't need to. We get it all sorted out, with a bit of worry and luck and we did make it, with 15 minutes before Josh's race was to start.

Marian and Rylee posed in the lovely flowers. 

Joshua said he was ready. 

Them's my favorite boys! 

See rock, must climb! 

 Rylee wanted to pose with this guy. 

And they were off!  Our guys are in maroon.  They ran around a big lake, so there was no other place to really get pictures.

Not till the end, anyway.

Go Josh, go!

 Dan took pictures too.  It was fun.

 And then we hung around and waited for results.  The girls had a marvelous time.

Did I mention how much they liked this rock. 

And they asked for lots of pictures. 

So I obliged. 

And then we drove the 45 minutes back to Sasebo.  2 of the sister missionaries who served in Iwakuni (Jorgensen and Sundell) were currently serving in Sasebo, so we met with them for lunch.  It was awesome to see them and visit with them.
Rylee as we walked to the restaurant. 

Marian, enjoying her delicious fried rice.

And we saw cats.  So we had to take photos.

It was a very nice cat.

Then we went to pick up Joshua so he wouldn't have to ride the bus home and we drove the 4+ hours back to Iwakuni.  It was a good trip.

No comments: