Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Thursday, April 10, 2014

St Charles Bridge Run.... Year 2

One year ago, I ran the St. Charles Bridge 10k.  It is the first race in a series of 3 races where you can run across the 3 bridges spanning the Mississippi River here in the New Orleans area.  Last year, a group of my running friends went out together and had a great time.  I really liked this race, and really wanted to do it again. I waited till the last minute because I could not decide if I wanted to do the 5k or the 10k.  I hadn't yet run 6 miles, since I'd taken time off for my foot, so I wasn't confident I could do it.  And then I was sick, and decided to just sign up for the 5k.  My friends said they were going to run it, but alas, no one else signed up to do it.  I had to decide if I really wanted to run it badly enough to drive an hour out to run it alone.  I did.

I got up at 5am to get ready.  Good thing, because apparently onion rings and hush puppies and french fries are not what one should consume the night before a race.  I had some serious concerns! I had plenty of time to get out the door and to get to the race.  It was a bit of a drive, but I got to the course just fine and had plenty of time to visit the portapotty and check in.  I made an impulsive decision to switch to the 10k.  Immediately afterwards I thought I may have made a poor decision.  My reasoning was that I wanted to challenge myself!  Somehow this seemed like a good way to do it?

I got signed in, got my number and t-shirt and caught my bus to the 10k start.  Yes, all by myself. It is a point to point race.  The 10k starts on the levee and goes down it 3 miles, then they intersect with the 5k race and everyone races down the road, up the on ramp and a mile of up-up-up the bridge, and then a mile back down the other side.  The annoying thing is that they release the 5k runners 20 minutes into the 10k race, so most of the 10k folks have to run through a teeming mass of 1500 joggers and walkers.

Aside from having to dodge and weave, it was a great race.  I was quite surprised how well it went for me. I had no tummy troubles, managed to get a good pace going, and really felt good about it.  My goal was to not walk on the bridge, and I met that goal.  I did one minute of walking through a water station, but other than that.... running all the way!  I ran 6.27 miles in 1:03:47 and I was very happy with that.  A minute and 30 seconds slower than last year, and I'll take that!

I did not wait around for the results. It is lonely and no fun with no friends!  I got me some water and oranges and a banana and headed home. I was home by 11, and just in time for general Conference!

 We're off!  this was the levee trail.  Nice.

This is my "Oh shoot, am I really doing this?!" face. 

 oming up on the 5k crowd.  We ran past another 1/2 mile and then both groups turned and merged onto the onramp.  See the bridge?  That's where we are headed!

 Oh look, a Plantation!

Oh check this out!  The guy behind me is 90 years old.  90!  And he's in the 10k.  Even more awesome.... it took me these 3 miles to catch him!   

Me and the Plantation.  Yeah, I know, but it was suppose to be a big deal!

Running on the surface street by the Plantation. 

Selfie with the Plantation. 

One of the fun things to see in the race. 

And here is the mob of 5k walkers I had to navigate around. They hogged the road. 

That's the levee I just ran down!  Now I am heading up the on ramp to the bridge


View from the top of the bridge.  Not too thrilling, but hey, I crossed the Mississippi River! 

Thumbs up for hitting the half way mark on the bridge.  It is all downhill from here!

All done and eating my oranges.  That's the bridge I just ran over.  Fun stuff!

And look!  I found an official race photo with me in it and I don't look horrid!  Yay!

No comments: