This week I had stuff to drop off at the Thrift Store. You will be pleased to know that I brought home significantly less than I left there! Be doubly impressed, because it turned out it was their monthly half off everything sale.
I stood in line with my few items behind 2 other ladies. The one at the register finished getting rung up and paid in cash. Except she was $1.12 short.
Now this place is crazy. It is full of people from all walks of life and might occasionally be considered a bit of a low-income place. I immediately thought, "I think I have $2 in cash in my wallet." But then I wondered if she would be offended at the offer. I wondered if she would think me rude or presumptuous. While I was debating with myself, and in all honesty, I was leaning towards not saying anything, the lady in front of me offered to cover the difference. The first lady graciously accepted and thanked her and we moved on.
Except I felt like a shmuck. I had the ability to help this lady. The thought was there. The money was there. But I didn't do it. I psyched myself out. I talked myself out of an opportunity to do something nice for someone else. Sure, it was $1.12. But I couldn't even make myself do that. If I can't even do $1.12 for someone, how many other opportunities am I missing out on because I'm afraid?
Winter Ballet Performances Photos
1 year ago

No comments:
Post a Comment