A few months ago, I discovered and immediately signed the 3 oldest kids up for a Mini-Muck Kids race. It was held in conjunction with a full 5k Play Dirty obstacle course/mud run. The kids were thrilled that there was a mud run they could do. Marian and Callie had asked to get up and run with me before school. Callie stuck it out a few times, but Marian hung in there and ran the loop 3-4 mornings a week for the past few weeks. The loop is only 3/4 a mile or so, and she didn't run the whole thing, but she did a good job.
Anyway, back to today! We got up at 5:45am. I wasn't sure how things would go and I wanted to be prepared for chaos, so I planned plenty of extra time. I didn't need to. We got there at 7:15 and there were very few people there. Our heat wasn't till 8:30, so there was plenty of time to kill. Even with screwing around, and the kids making a grassman out of the mowed grass, we were bored. So we jumped in with the 8am heat. It was the first one, and there were maybe 50 kids running it. There might have been more, but we were in the front.
The kids started off fast. I didn't know what to expect, so I was prepared in case I had to jump in the mud with them, so I was in full running gear, and carrying nothing but my little water proof camera. The pictures are very low quality due to that. All the kids bolted at the start and I had to sprint to keep up. The race was held at a big park around the Zephyrs Stadium, so part of the run was on paved trail. Then they had a few obstacles to go over and under. Callie was disappointed there wasn't more mud. I think the ground is not conducive to mud. Or it got muddier as more people slogged through it. There were only 2-3 water obstacles, which I think were suppose to be mud, but were just dirty water.
Marian rocked it. She was ahead of Joshua and Callie for most of the race. She's fast and she has been practicing, and she was great. They loved it and had a really good time. It was 85 degrees, so it was hot, but it was only a mile run. The race ended inside the stadium, which was fun. And everyone got medals at the end!
My take.... it was a little disorganized. Fortunately, it seemed like a smaller race. Granted, I only have the enormity of the Warrior Dash to compare it to, and we were there for the first run. The 5k run didn't begin till 9 am, which is when we were leaving, but it still didn't seem very crowded at all. I hope they had a decent turn out, because it was fun. And there are so few events like that for kids. Joshua said it was awesome. Even though he got his tail kicked by his sisters! He didn't do any running at all prior.
And now you can enjoy the 500 pictures I took today!
Ready to go!
Chillin and being cool.
He ASKED me for a cape to wear!
Being silly.
Running around, trying to make his cape flow in the breeze.
Building a grass-man. Callie also has a cape, in black.
Posing with their grassy creation.
I know, their talent astounds me as well.
First obstacle! Marian is on the far left on top, and you can see Joshua and his cape in the center on top.
And they are over and away!
Run, Marian, run!
Joshua leaping the second obstacle.
Marian coming out of the tunnel.
Callie was right behind her! Joshua is still on his way to the tunnel.
Marian on her way up the cargo net.
Callie on top of the cargo net and Joshua on the approach!
Joshua is on his way over it.
Marian coming out of the watery tunnels.
Joshua went through pretty quick and slogged right out.
Running out of steam.
See, mostly just dirty water. But Callie said the mud on the bottom sucked at your shoes.
Not more crawling!
They wanted you to low crawl through this, but the kids were not having it! They just hunched and scrambled!
Yep, stayed pretty clean through it, the cheaters!
Joshua actually went pretty low.
"Where is the finish line?!!"
"I have to walk, my feet hurt."
Glorious sprint to the finish! That's my girl!
Followed by Callie.
And one tired Joshua.
Hot, tired, and quite pleased with themselves! They finished it in under 15 minutes, too.

2 comments:
That is awesome!! What a cool race. It's so fun to see your kids running and having a good time. Yay for them! That's hard work.
Love that you and your kids are out there having fun with running! I can't wait to do a warrior dash..the timing just hasn't worked out for me. Keep those kids moving. My daughter plays in an adult soccer league with her hubby and her kids love to cheer her on. Keep running and writing!
Post a Comment