Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Kicking a little Trash!

Lately I have just been dropping the kids off for Karate, then racing home to work on dinner, before going back to pick them up.  This week, I finally planned ahead enough (cock pot dinner that didn't require rice!) and I hung out while the girls did their thing.  It was a sparring day, so it was extra fun.  The kids got to put on their sparring gear and brawl.  

Callie is in the black gear.  She is a cautious fighter.  Some of the kids go out pretty aggressive (Ah-hem, Marian!), but Callie hangs back and waits. 

She watches and has some pretty good blocks. 

 And sometimes she really does get in a punch or kick.  Sadly, I never seem to push the camera button at the right time to get the good shots.

Yep, that is Marian in the blue.  She goes out in a flurry of kicks and punches.  All movement, not much form. 

Her technique works well on the less aggressive kids because they can be intimidated by her no-holds-barred method.  The kids who have been doing this longer stay calm and kick back.  Like this kid here.  I think she scored more touch points and beat Marian.  Marian does not like sparring with the higher ranking belts because they win.  Heh heh heh.

This weekend, there was a little tournament at the Karate place.  Marian did not want to participate.  Joshua was mildly interested till he realized it might infringe on his fun.  So only Callie signed up to do it.  Dan took her in at 9am, and I swapped him out just before 10:30.  Callie had already done her sparring competing and had won.  Dan said there was only one other kid in her age division, so Callie beat her and won the first place trophy and the other girl got second.  Score!

I got to watch Callie do the sword fighting portion. Chumbara (That's what Callie calls it, but I don't know if it is spelled right), uses these foam swords.  There is nothing more fun than watching kids bash each other with them in a controlled environment!  Super fun!  Callie beat this kid.  Callie is the one on the right, with the blue tipped weapon.

 Then Callie beat this kid too!  It was single elimination and there were 10 kids in her category.  Only one other girl, the rest were boys. And Callie kicked some trash! She looks so cute and little and passive, and the kids would come swinging, and she'd step back and then deliver a blow that counted.

A 2 second video of Callie getting clobbered.  If you watch it carefully, you see that the kid bashes her pretty good, but Callie sneaks in a shot that counts a split second before.  It is a pretty accurate depiction of her fighting style.  She rocks!

Callie fought in 4 rounds and won them all.  So she won the Chumbara portion in her age group as well!  Here she is with her 2 trophies.  I was incredibly impressed (and a bit shocked) at how well she did.  Watch out world! 


And Rylee wanted a picture in here too.  Here she is, torturing the poor dog and asking for a picture with him.  Love my kids!

No comments: