Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Seasons of Life

Today I have been busy. I have gotten 3 children off to school, then stuffed 2 into the stroller and gone for a run (3.3 miles, yeah!). I hauled 2 poorly behaved girls to go grocery shopping and made 2 freezer meals. I drove 5 children to the chiropractor and made waffles with strawberries and whipped cream for dinner. Then decided I needed to make cookies as well. I also have run too many loads of laundry to count, although I have not folded it yet. I did pack 2 suitcases in preparation for our weekend trip.

As I was driving today I realized how different my life is from what it was. And I like it. I mean, there were parts of life I liked 8 years ago, but taken as a whole, I like it better now.

This is my joy and my work. I love these kids. I love interacting with them and seeing their little minds work. I love the stuff they come up with and I love watching them grow. It is wonderful!


This was life 9 years ago. I know, I pork out nicely when I have a bun in the oven. I think the first child is the toughest. As you have more, it gets a lot easier in a lot of ways. Yes, harder in other ways, but with the first, you don't have a clue what you are doing!

When I visited Miranda, I was surprised at how long it took to do everything. I mean, I remember it, but I had forgotten it too. It takes so long to get the baby ready. It takes so long to coordinate it with the toddler. It takes forever to coerce/bribe/drag the toddler anywhere, and it tends to be a lot of work when you get there. It seems like there are really only 2 hours you can work with each day. If you coordinate just right, you might get a little time in the morning, between feedings, before lunch and nap time. After that, its naps, dinner and bed. No free time for mommy. No time alone. No time, but still there are endless hours.

On the other hand, I had forgotten how nice the slower pace is. No frantic racing around. No places you really have to be. Just lots of time to hang around the house on your own schedule. It was actually relaxing to not have to be places and to not have to get up to an alarm. I do kind of miss that. I miss having our own rhythm to do what worked for us, and to do things when we got to them.

I loved visiting my sister. I loved being the aunt and I loved holding my little nephew. I also loved knowing that I was done with that phase of my life. I have never really cared to hold other people's children, because I always had my own and they ALWAYS wanted to be held. But now.... bring them on! I loved holding a baby that was not mine! I liked knowing that I was not the one who had to nurse him or get up in the middle of the night with him. Yes, I am glad that season of life is over for me. It was rough and exhausting. I saw my sister so tired and knew how it felt, but there wasn't a whole lot I can do there. I know she'll spend the next 6 months in a daze of sleep deprivation, wondering where her mind went. I never found my mind, but I did finally get to sleep again. I think the Lord must bless new moms to help us survive that perpetual state of exhaustion. I know He blessed me!

Now, my children are older. They are growing up. They are interactive and I get to enjoy their marvelous creative minds working through things. Yes, it brings on new challenges. It also brings new and wonderful experiences and I can't wait to see what comes next!

3 comments:

The Mayne Attraction said...

Beautifully stated! I agree 100% with this. I know some people love newborns, but I love my kids more and more, the older they get. :-)

Wendy said...

Amen sister! so my life story too. Love that the kids can all shower themselves and put on and remove their own seatbealts!!!

Daniel said...

I know people say to love every minute of this, but since I'm not, it's incredibly reassuring to hear that it does get better. So thanks for giving me something to look forward to!