Some things were big.
When Delaney was born and flown to the Little Rock Children's Hospital (3 hours away from home), we were well taken care of by people we knew years before, but were not really close to. Them opening their home to us during an incredibly stressful time really eased our burden. Knowing people cared about us helped, and being able to leave the craziness of the NICU behind and to sleep in a real bed soothed the scariness we were going through. I will never be able to thank them enough for that. And it has inspired me to try to be more like them.
Sometimes small things were a big deal to me.
Years and years ago, I had to drop Dan off to go to 10 weeks of OCS. Then I went to church with new acquaintances and then I had to drive 3 hours home.... alone. After church, my new friend made me a bag lunch. And she put a lollypop in it. I don't know that I ever thanked her, but it was the most thoughtful thing. I had food so I didn't have to stop on a Sunday to buy something to eat, and I had a lollypop to help me stay awake on the long drive. For some reason, that really touched me, and 12 years later, I still remember that. Julie probably doesn't, but that's okay. It has inspired me to go ahead and do the small acts of service, because those do matter too.
Sometimes it was from total strangers.
The Christmas before Dan and I got married, he came to Arkansas with me to meet the family. We were suppose to drive back to BYU- Dan, me, and my brother and sister. Unfortunately, we had some issues, that cumulated in a tire flying violently off the car in the middle of a sleet storm. Several people stopped to assist us. Did I mention it was sleeting and cold and dark? These people stopped, offered assistance, and when they were done, they quietly disappeared. I hope that I can be that kind of person too.
This week gave me hope that maybe I am not so far behind on the charity curve.

2 comments:
Thanks for a post that got me thinking about happy things and nice people. And I totally think YOU are one of the very nicest people! You've done about a million small but special things for me, and racked up a serious list of Big Helps too.
great post. I've been feeling the same things.
Post a Comment