Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Thursday, August 4, 2011

No, it's not going well

I thought the movers who packed us up were great. Unfortunately, they did not pack well. You have to stuff the boxes full so they don't crumple when they get stacked. Let's just say we have a LOT of crumpled boxes. To be fair, we do have a LOT of books! Probably 30+ boxes were books. And we have a million more boxes than that. I have decided that it is all in the attitude. On Monday when the movers were here, I wanted to cry. Then I realized I didn't, because it wouldn't do any good. I decided I was going to be happy and make it work. So no, it isn't all roses, but I'm not going to dwell (too much!) on the stuff that makes me want to cry. I'm going to focus on the positive and make happy memories, not depressing whiny ones. Here it is in summary.

The good:
- The house has lovely high ceilings.
- The house is bright and I love a bright house.
- The house looks nice- wood and tile floors, carpet in the bedrooms. Very nice.
- The dining room is big.
- We have lots of neighbors.
- We are right across from the park.
- We have a garage.
- The master bathroom is nice sized and has 2 sinks.
- I have decent counter space in the kitchen.
- We're the back end of housing so we are in a very quiet area.
- The kids made friends today - 5 and 7 year old girls, 9 year old boy, hooray!
- We have a phone, internet and tv that are now connected and usable (mostly!)
- I have unpacked more boxes than I have left!

The bad:
- We have no yard. One tiny stamp sized fenced in backyard. Too small to actually play in.
- Small living room and no playroom.
- The bedrooms are smaller than I expected, and no one is happy about sharing their room.
- We have zero space for food. Tiny pantry, few places to store anything else. I'll have to get creative...
- It is 84 degrees in my bedroom. (72 degrees downstairs.)
- There might be alligators lurking in the ditches (canals?)
- Its too hot to walk to the school or the library, both which are less then 1/2 mile away.
- Rylee and Delaney do too much screaming and fighting.
- I have too many boxes left to deal with!
- I have no friends..... yet.

The ugly:
- Delaney has already stepped in fire ant mounds twice.
- I have too much stuff and nowhere to put it.
- I have no hardware for my bed frame, or Delaney's bed so we're sleeping on mattresses on the floor.
- Rylee's crib is also missing it's hardware, so she's in the travel crib.
- The mail key doesn't work, so I can't check the mail.
- I can't find the cordless phone and the corded phone won't ring! Aack!
- It took me 3 days to find the tv base and the tv remotes, and 4 days to find my glasses and bowls. (Who on earth would label them under "plasticware"?!)
- I can't do laundry. I finally bought and changed out the 3 prong cord to a 4 prong cord, purchased the dryer vent hose, and got new hoses for the washer. But I cannot tighten the washing machine hoses enough that they won't leak, and I haven't got a wrench big enough to fit around them. Aargh!
- Have I mentioned that I have at least 30 more boxes and the house is already full? We have too much stuff.
- I fear that whatever isn't done in the next week is never going to get done. I'll run out of steam and just won't care anymore. On the plus side, I can just toss the boxes I don't get to!


This is how Joshua spent his time on Monday, waiting for the movers to arrive. Yes, the movers who said they would be here between 9-11am and didn't show up til 1pm. Not a great moving experience. To put it in perspective, it was not horrible- nothing was stolen and nothing invaluable was damaged beyond repair. But I certainly would like to find the screws for the beds! (I actually wonder if the movers swiped them just so they wouldn't have to put the beds together.)

This is what the living room looked like- and they weren't even done! Yes, that is all packed with stacked boxes. Going from about 2300 sq ft to 1650 is rough!

I have unpacked boxes all day long for the last 3 days. This is Delaney, conked out on the floor. I know how she feels! My entire body aches from the bending, lifting, standing, unpacking. It is exhausting!

Marian is thrilled with the wildlife here. She and Callie have chased and caught a number of lizards, frogs and toads already!


PS.... and almost all my family is heading to WA for a family reunion and I am so sad I can't be there too.

3 comments:

Daniel said...

Oh, I am very sad that we won't see you at the reunion. But I am glad you have arrived and have made serious progress on getting settled. Good luck!! And don't worry - people will totally like you! How could they not?! M

Megan said...

Rebecca,
I really feel your pain, but my moving woes are all of my own doing since I did the packing. But really, I didn't lose any bed stuff, because I taped the screws and bolts to the bed in a bag.
I am glad that Marian is enjoying the wildlife of La. Have you had any huge flying roaches in your house yet? That was not my favorite part of living in La. Take care my friend.

Unknown said...

it's New Orleans that you moved to right? Wow you are in for an adventure. We have visited there a few times and it is a whole nother world!