Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Moving Day (AKA Just shoot me now!)

Moving day finally arrived. We got keys on Thursday and I ran a couple loads over to the house that evening. It felt good. Friday morning, Dan got the van at 9am. It was a 17 foot Uhaul. He had hired 2 young men to help him and they arrived and got to work. It was a sweltering hot, muggy day. The 2 boys and Dan worked hard and hauled a lot of heavy things. I realized that I tend to buy sturdy furniture so it will endure the moves. Unfortunately, that seems to backfire since it is so heavy it gets dinged while being moved. The point is, there were several items that nearly broke them, but they persevered and got all the big stuff in the house!

Here's my hunka-hunka-burning-love now!

Callie was a helper. Apparently she was enough of a helper that one of the young men commented to his mother how big a help she was! He said Callie and Joshua were great workers and did a good job.

The cable guy came Friday afternoon and hooked us up with cable, internet and phone. We hadn't brought the big tv over, so the kids crowded around this one. I was amused. And relieved, since it kept them out of the way while large and heavy things were being hauled through the house.

3pm Friday afternoon- Delaney had had enough! Yes, I did set those beds up all by myself! I set up all the beds. Dan assisted with ours and Marian's, but other than that, it was all me. I got the beds all set up while he was making his 4 runs with the moving truck. Everyone had a bed and clean sheets that night. Yay!

4pm Friday- After waaaaay too much incessant whining, Rylee finally went to bed. It was my fault. I had to wait for the tool kit to put her crib together and then it took me forever to get the darn thing together and I managed to break part of it in the process. Grrrrr. Once it was up, I didn't even put sheets on it. I just put the blanket down and put Rylee on it and walked away. She cried for all of 2 minutes and slept for 2 hours, which is really long for her. Isn't she adorable?!

Dan did 4 runs with the moving truck on Friday and on Saturday he borrowed a truck and we hauled stuff all day Saturday. He did 4 runs in the truck, and I did 4 with the van (with the seats down.) It was so hot that day as well. And Dan even spent a few hours on the yard. He mulched it and made it look so nice! And boy was he sweaty when he was done!

On the first trip to the old house, I handed each kid a bin and told them to fill it. They were AMAZING! They each ran around and filled up their bins with all the odds and ends left behind. The shoes, radio, hangers, random junk that didn't make it into a box. It really made a huge difference in how fast the work got done.

Joshua was excited to vacuum. Callie was cross that he wasn't letting her have a turn.

There she goes! I was surprised how good the kids were. (Well, they were great while doing the moving stuff, but evening/bedtime was a nightmare.)

Saturday after lunch Rylee is helping me to unload the stuff from the refrigerator. She had a blast pulling things out and throwing them down. just look at that grin!

And here is Callie, on about the 3rd trip. She's helping haul the bins to the van.

I asked Marian to help, but she told me she was busy "exterminating the flies."

Today we ignored the mess in deference to the Sabbath and our sanity. Here the girls are trying out the new bath. Dan calls this the A&W room, since it is the color of a root beer float. I realized the whole house is on that color scheme.

Yep, looks like just another normal morning!

And a normal chaotic afternoon!

Dan and I are currently in survival mode. We have a bunch of stuff still at the house and its all the things we don't want to deal with- the garage, the basement and the back porch. We dread it. We are consumed with the task of having the house empty and clean by Tuesday, so we have not thought much about the new house. We have a vague idea of where some things will go, and no clue what to do with other things. This house is so different, and a bit smaller, so we don't know how to put our stuff in it. Neither of us is good at interior design and neither of us know how to place our things to achieve the nicest setting. So we are currently now unpacking anything beyond the bedrooms and kitchen. Once the other house is done, then we will figure out how to configure the living space. Then we'll unpack out books and things. However, I'm starting to think that if we can live without it for 2 weeks, do we really even need to unpack it?!

3 comments:

Megan said...

Good luck, Rebecca!! It is nice that the kids were helpful and it will be nice when it is all over--and that will be soon. I love the picture of Rylee napping with her rolls.

Tom and Sandy Fox said...

Great story, wonderful helping children, excellent pictures of the children-but my vote for best pic is Marian sitting on the box.

Foote said...

Wow you really are the super mom. Never a dual moment in your life. I guess some of that has to do with a family of six and the other being in the military. I'm sure you wouldn't change either one.