Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Monday, June 9, 2014

Yeah, I ran that!

6 pm Saturday was the Crescent City Connection Bridge race.  It is the main bridge into New Orleans from the Westbank and the most well known. The race was a 4 miler and I was really excited about it.  Why 6pm in June?  I do not know.  

I do know that it was 92 degrees.  I do know that the humidity was a brutal 85% and the sun was burning me to a crisp.  In case you haven't already guessed, this was an awful run for me.  I had hydrated well throughout the day, because I'm good like that.  I know I had a solid 80 oz of water in me before I left for the race.  But that run still kicked my bum.

It wasn't a bad start, but a mile in, I knew it was not going to go well for me.  I made it to a mile and a half and walked.  I walked and ran the rest of the race, and it was ugly.  I was so overheated, despite having done everything I could to keep that from happening. I had my salt stick (electrolyte replacement) capsules and took one 2 miles in and the other at the end.  I still ended up with a massive headache.  It was the yuckiest run I think I have ever had.  It was a fail for me.  Okay, not a total fail.  I finished!  It just took me 50:13 to run/walk 4.13 miles.  And I felt horrid.  But I finished it and I finished on my feet. 

Half a mile in, and we're approaching the carpool on-ranp for the bridge.  I liked the flag there.

Me, totally dying and miserably hot, a mile into the race.  Yeah, it was ugly and I really was that red.

The west-bound bridge.  We ran on the carpool lane of the eastbound bridge.

The "I was there" selfie.  I was too hot and miserable to even try to smile.

Nola skyline.  See the Superdome?  Or, as my kids like to call it, the "Mega-Pie"!

Wheee, I'm going downhill, I'm having fun, really, I am.... (I'm totally not, but I'm faking it.)

The finish is in sight  I'm almost done! 

The bridge I just ran across, with celebratory red, white and blue water spraying from the boat.

Hee hee hee, I crack myself up!

No comments: