Lovin' the Life

Lovin' the Life

Friday, January 11, 2008

Potty Training the easy way

I am a big fan of letting the kid decide when they are ready to potty in the pot and letting them do it on their own terms. This means that Joshua was 4 before he potty trained and Marian (although she knew what to do MUCH earlier) was almost 4. So its been a shock to me that Callie has been trying to sit on the potty and go since she was about 20 months old.

She's progressively been doing it more and more on her own. She's the only one who ever used the kiddie potty. Then she wanted to use the big one like everyone else. Its been a good 8 months of this. She would take off her diaper and sit on the toilet and go without encouragement or supervision. She was pretty much poop trained all on her own a few months ago. I just didn't want to deal with the hassle! I hate having to race for a restroom or place to stop when we're out and about and I detest cleaning up after accidents. I refuse to clean poopy underwear. I throw it away. So I was unsupportive of Callie's potty training desires. Finally, this week, I thought, "Why not?"

On Tuesday I let her put on underwear. She peed in her pants twice that day and has been dry and clean ever since! Its Friday now, and she's been accident free since Tuesday. Wow! This kid is amazing! I never had to do a thing. I have to help her get her underwear on the right way and I have to help wipe, but she's doing it all on her own. This is how I like to potty train! Dan is happy that we'll spend less on diapers now.

2 comments:

Camilla said...

Hooray! That is shocking to me also because my kids have all been three before being potty trained. I am so happy for Callie and you too!
Yes, letting them know they are ready is the key.

Mikal said...

I hated paying for diapers so I trained myself to a strict bathroom schedule which enabled me to catch them before they actually needed to go. The twins were trained at 15 months but RK was not trained until 18 months.

I guess this just proves a few things.
1) Fools rush in.
2) Nobody's happy unless mama is happy.
3) Where there is a will there is a way!

Callie was ready and you chose to allow her to do it! Good job on both of your parts. :)