See, when I found out I was pregnant, I thought perhaps it would be convenient to have the 2 little girls enrolled at the Ft Belvoir CDC (Thats their child care center). I thought it would be nice to have the option of dropping them off at the hourly care when I had my doctors appointments. So, waaay back in February, I went in and got all the paperworks and found out what I needed. Since I decided Delney did not need to be vaccinated till she was 2, she had none. So right there they would not let me register. Since she had just turned 2, I was okay to start catching her up, but I have a 2 shot policy- I won't get them more than 2 shots per visit. That means, several visits back to get her the shots they want her to have.
Delaney was down to only needing one more vaccination when we left for the summer. I figured I'd wait on Callie's physical until Delaney was ready too. When I called to make an appointment for Callie's physical, I had a 5 week wait! Today was that day.
Today I took all 4 children out, skipping naptime, because 1:20 was the only time I could get in. I didn't think it would be too bad or take too long. It wasn't too bad and it did take too long. It didn't start off too well- Callie forgot to bring her blanket and cried all the way there. She did very well for the exam though and that went really well. (Shocking that she weighs 36 lbs and Delaney is 32!) I told the doc what we needed and why we were there. She said no, Delaney didn't need the shot I thought she needed, she needed something else. She said Callie only needed 2, and next year she would need 2 more. Yes, the doctor was fully aware I needed this for preschool and the CDC. She filled out the physical forms and we went to get poked. Callie cried the whole way there. She screamed the whole time in the office and absolutely howled when she got her 2 pokes. It was not fun for me. Delaney cried when she got her shot, but was so cute. She stopped immediately when she saw the stickers. She had the cutest face- 2 big tear tracks and a big grin about the stickers. I had to carry a sobbing Callie to the car. On the plus side, Joshua and Marian were very good.
We were already on base and I had promised the kids donuts if they were good, so we went and got those. I said we could go to the park if we went to the CDC and dropped off our paperwork. They agreed, and we went in, faces covered with chocolate and powdered sugar. And one hour later, Yes, an HOUR later, they tell me I cannot register the girls. Delaney did indeed need the shot I originally thought they wanted her to have, and Callie either needs the Chicken Pox vaccine, or a note from the doctor saying she'll get it later. I cannot register them now. I cannot get them in the system and activate them later. I can't do a darn thing but go home and take them back to the hospital later to deal with the shots. Did I mention that I cannot even walk in to get a vaccine? I have to see the doctor first. So, let's see..... wait 5 weeks for another appointment, drag unhappy children back in, get the stupid shot, wait another hour at the CDC......
Wow, that means there is really no point in doing it. I'll have had the baby by then, so no need to find hourly care for the girls. I'm just so aggravated about this right now. I had wanted it as a nice back-up, but I really don't see that any of it is worth it right now. (Except Callie might actually need the chicken pox vac for preschool). And I'm ticked off that I wasted so much time on it. We did go to the park and the kids had a great time. We got home about 5pm and I called Dan and told him to pick up pizza for dinner because I was too stinking cranky to make dinner.
That's my gripe for today. I'm going to eat pizza, out the kids to bed early and do the same thing myself; and tomorrow I will think I was so silly for being so mad about today!

7 comments:
You should definately check to see what your state laws are for exemptions. I know in California you can just write up a letter stating that you are philisophically against vaccinations and they have to accept that. Lincoln is almost 3, and he's only had about 4 shots.
I'm sorry that it was such a pain. Maybe if you call the nurse line at your doctor's office they will let you just come in for the shots tomorrow since you were seen there today?
So sorry. That stinks.
Ok, thanks to my inability to sleep and boredom I looked up your state requirements, and they don't allow for a philisophical exemption. (Really, just move to CA) But, if you were REALLY desperate I'm sure you could stretch the religious exemption thing. I mean we believe it is a commandment to not put any harmful substance in your body, and if you believe the vax could be harmful to your child...
I'm sorry but after dealing with Utah gov't yesterday, all I can say is, do we really want to hand our health care system over to the gov't???? What a pain! You knew what you needed, and it took time and effort to make it possible to get those shots, yet in the end, you didn't get what you needed and now have to go back. Ridiculous!
I can understand how frustrated you are. At Steven's 9 month appointment, my dr told me to come back a month later to get a 2nd hib shot. So 31 days later I made an appointment to get that shot and another one that he needed. After I got there, the nurse told me that she wouldn't give me either of the shots! She said it was too early for the follow-up, and she wouldn't believe me when I told her that he had only gotten 2 of Hep B shots. I was so mad. I was doing the things I was told to do, and then wasn't allowed to do them.
I had payed my copay when I came in and asked for it back since I received no service that day.
I DESPISE the way schools demand your kids have shots before the register. It's like they have complete control and you have no say as their parent. I went through the "shots" battle last year. It wasn't any fun, and I mostly lost the battle.
I'm sorry what a pain, I would call the nurse and explain your delima, sureley they can let you come in, we have a outpatient clinic that we can walk in at anytime even though my kids don't go there, maybe you should check and see if there is anything like that. Sorry, that really stinks. I would do what clarley said though and call the nurse. Oh and than I would stick in them in for hourly care the so you can just relax!
Post a Comment